Author Topic: have a ? i really need answered...PLEASE HELP  (Read 2804 times)

Offline bennyha

• Posting Member
tomorrow i have an appointment with an endocrinologist. i must see one before my surgeon will do surgery on me. My question is can I still have the surgery asap if the endo finds i have low testosterone and need to get on treatment for low testosterone???  also what should i expect tomorrow as i have never been to an endo and am pretty unsure on what they do??? anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Finrod

• Posting Member
Well, i've been to a couple of endos on the last month so i guess i can give you an idea. First, i guess he'll take a look at your gyno and will tell you how bad it is, then he'll probably tell you to do some blood tests to check your hormonal levels (LH, FSH, PROLACTINE, FREE TESTOSTERONE, and so one) and if he doesn't, you should ask him to. He might as well also tell you to do a mamografy (sorry for the spell) to check how much of glandular tissue and fat is on your chest.

If the tests show that you have a hormonal disbalance, this doesn't mean that you can't have the op, but you will have to be on hormonal treatment (probably for the rest of your life) so that after the opp the gyne doesn't come back. (very rare cases, see "hyponogadism")

If he doesn't, as i said be before, you should ask him to make you this tests:
Total/serum testosterone- free testosterone or both
LH
FSH
Estradiol
Prolactin  
SHBG
TSH
Estrone

Hope this helps, good luck.

Offline bennyha

• Posting Member
thank you finrod. i still have a few more questions. will my endo perform these tests tomorrow? if so would he or she just take some blood and be able to check all of those things you told me to have the endo check? how long does it take to get the results back for those tests-meaning that same day or a few days or even weeks? thanks for anyone who can help i really appreciate it.

Offline bennyha

• Posting Member
also when you say he will tell u that u need to do a possible mammogram and some blood tests does that mean i have to do that on my own?? i thought that's what endos did

Offline Finrod

• Posting Member
The endo can't make this tests in a day, he will probably give you an order (the paper signed by him with the tests) and you have to take it to a hospital or labs or wathever where they will take you a blood sample (you can't eat anything for 8 hours before the tests and it's better if the blood is taken in the morning i think), then, depending on the dispositions of the hospital/labs you'll get the results in four or five days, which you will have to take to the endo so that he can take a look and tell you if you indeed have hormonal problems. The mamogram is also done by an order which the endo will give and you have to do it in a hospital, although the deliver time might be shorter.

"also when you say he will tell u that u need to do a possible mammogram and some blood tests does that mean i have to do that on my own?? i thought that's what endos did"

Yes, you have to do them by your own, but usually they are covered by your insurance company.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Be patient. If there is a hormone problem,  It would be wise to wait until it is resolved or under control before surgery.  Unless you don't care if they grow back.

And congratulations on having a surgeon who wants the cards stacked in favor of a good, lasting result before surgery. Unfortunately, not all are that thorough.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024