Author Topic: Swimming/Running after Surgery  (Read 3271 times)

Offline SpydeReFs

• Posting Member
Hey all,

I'm going to get surgery on June 1 and I've read the timelines, but a lot of people seem to vary it a bit. Do you think 1 month post op is enough to start swimming in pools, I can do it indoor if sun will be a problem. What about running?  i just feel inspired to do everything i've missed out on...

Offline SpydeReFs

• Posting Member
If at 1 month post op I feel ready, I think i'll swim indoors with just the kicking strokes without using my arms at all or very little.

What about heavier workouts, like lifting weights?

Offline andyz

• Posting Member
Hi,

I think the general rule is if it hurts stop.  Anything that invovles hi-impact eg running\jogging I would definayely wear a compression vest.

As far as weight lifting goes just take it steady and build up gradually.  And again if it starts to hurt stop.

Also remember normally you woult feal an ache from lifting until 10=2 day after, I suppose I just re-iterating to be careful.

Offline johndoe

• Silver Member
A month should be sufficient time for recovery. Swimming involves a lot of stretching of the chest muscles though so I wouldn't strain too hard.

I think running after a month is no problem at all.

Offline ss14

• Posting Member
I didn't really pay any attention to when I could begin running again after surgery, because I thought it would be a long time.  Then I asked my surgeon a week post-op and he said I was fine to run, just not lift anything.  So the next two days I ran 2 and 2.5 miles respectively, and the only problem was that I ran them a little slower than usual. (pre-op I would run somewhere in the neighborhood of three 7-min. miles about 3-4 times a week).  I felt a few tugs on my nipples as I ran, but nothing painful.

But if it does get painful, I would stop.

Offline NewLifeStartsMay4th

• Bronze Member
    • pre-post pics
do you really wanna chance having a messed up chest again just so you can swim? you've obviously had breasts for a while why risk that nice new chest just to go swimming a month earlier?
Surgery may 4th Dr. Metzner New Orleans
http://deuce-po.magix.net/

Offline SpydeReFs

• Posting Member
well obviously I am worried about my chest, that's why I'm asking here.  ::)

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
Go splash around have fun, dont exert yourself.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024