Author Topic: Right Questions  (Read 3266 times)

Offline mamason

• Posting Member
I am the Mom of a 14 year old that may have gyne.
I am taking him to the Doctor today to have it checked out.  He is becoming more and more self conscious and humps over ect, constantly getting tittietwisted at school and is just sick of it.  He works out at the gym 3 days a week and benches 240.  He is almost 6' and weighs about 215.  I'm not sure if he has completed all the stages of puberty but if he hasn't I'd be surprised.

I guess my question is what do we ask this Doctor I don't want him to just brush my kid off and make him feel worse than he already does. I want to help my son.

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
Depends, can you describe his case to me. Are his nipples flat, or do they puff out? Also are you sure hes just not overweight? Maybe get him to try some cardio, 14 in my opinion is to young for surgery.

Offline mamason

• Posting Member
Depends, can you describe his case to me. Are his nipples flat, or do they puff out? Also are you sure hes just not overweight? Maybe get him to try some cardio, 14 in my opinion is to young for surgery.

He could stand to lose a few pounds but he's a big boned kid,  he wears a men's size 14 shoe already.  His nipples are definitely puffy. His chest shows some definition from working out.  What other things are available besides surgery?  I agree 14 is young.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 08:58:33 AM by mamason »

Offline mamason

• Posting Member
14 yrs old.
6ft
weighs 215
benches 240?
Jesus H, that's damn good. He must look like a little bull.
Anyway, ask the Dr how he would remove the tissue. You want him to say "excision and Lipo"
Not only do you wan't him to suck out the fat, but you also want him to cut away the gland.
Ask about recovery time, and scarring. Ask where he makes the incision. Idealy, you would want everything done through the nipple, to lessen the scarring. You can barely notice it that way. Some people, have had incisions through the armpit. SOme liked it, some don't. It's all a matter of prefrence really.
I say, even at 14, go for it. Find a Dr. that will do it.
Grades, as well as self esteem, are equally important.
Some will say 14 is too young.
Some, like myself, will say you can never be too young for this. WHat really matters, is your sons self esteem, and the quality of the Dr.
Maybee you can point your son to this site? Theres tons of information on here.
Oh, and 1 more thing. SHop around for the right Dr. Don't go all willy nilly cause the 1st Dr. said he could fix it.

I will show him the website. I let him know yesterday he wasn't alone with this.  Thank you for the info on the surgery although I really am nervous about him having to go that route.  I promised him we would do whatever it takes.  I agree with Self esteem I don't want him not to have and to go through the high school years being embarrased.  

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member

He could stand to lose a few pounds but he's a big boned kid,  he wears a men's size 14 shoe already.  His nipples are definitely puffy. His chest shows some definition from working out.  What other things are available besides surgery?  I agree 14 is way young.

Ok, first things first. Tell your son that lifting weights will not get the gyne to go away, if anything it makes it worse. His nipples will stick out even more the more weights he lifts, he will only be building more muscle behind the gland. Dont let him fall into the same trap I did when I was 14, no amount of exercise or diet can get ride of Gyne.

Also know this, it bothers him even more then it does you. You may only think of this once a day or whenever you see him without a shirt on. Hes thinking of this evreyday and its bothering him, have you talked to him about it yet?

I had my surgery when I was 17.

Offline mamason

• Posting Member

Ok, first things first. Tell your son that lifting weights will not get the gyne to go away, if anything it makes it worse. His nipples will stick out even more the more weights he lifts, he will only be building more muscle behind the gland. Dont let him fall into the same trap I did when I was 14, no amount of exercise or diet can get ride of Gyne.

Also know this, it bothers him even more then it does you. You may only think of this once a day or whenever you see him without a shirt on. Hes thinking of this evreyday and its bothering him, have you talked to him about it yet?

I had my surgery when I was 17.

Yes we've talked about it alot.  I know it bothers him and I am taking this seriously for his sake.  Until I found this website I didn't know what to do about it.  Do you think his Doctor will do a hormone test on him?

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
His gynecomastia could just be puberty induced and could go away on its own, or not.

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member

While that may be true, lifting weights is part of staying healthy. Don't misunderstand that statement, as to mean, stop lifting. Yes, the gyne will probably look worse, but, lifting  wieghts is a must, if you want to stay in shape.
Surgery can cure gyne, but theres no surgery to stay in shape

I disagree, I belive you can stay perfectly healthy with just cardio and good diet.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:55:44 PM by Allan7865 »

Offline Sir_Puffs-a-lot

• Bronze Member
Yo, Allan, chill out...you're obviously a smart guy, got the surgery young, and probably do cardio to stay in shape, yadda yadda yadda...whatever. We're trying to help this lady and her son here, not advertise YOUR method of curing YOUR gyne. Since you're obviously so smart, you probably already know that every case of gyne is different, and that working out helps mask gyne for some people while accentuating it for others. (Oh, accentuating means to make it stand out, but you probably already knew that...) To mamason, I would ask your son if he thinks working out has made it worse, and work off of his opinion. Despite what Allan said, working out can possibly help mask your son's condition, it's just different from person to person. I WOULD recommend that he start running or doing cardio though, to help shed some pounds. That will help it's appearance as well. As for the surgery, I have no authority to give you advice there. I would see a doctor. It sounds like he's a little young yet for the surgery, but ultimately, if it gets worse and doesn't go away, that may be the best option. Take care, -J.

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
Yo, Allan, chill out...you're obviously a smart guy, got the surgery young, and probably do cardio to stay in shape, yadda yadda yadda...whatever. We're trying to help this lady and her son here, not advertise YOUR method of curing YOUR gyne. Since you're obviously so smart, you probably already know that every case of gyne is different, and that working out helps mask gyne for some people while accentuating it for others. (Oh, accentuating means to make it stand out, but you probably already knew that...) To mamason, I would ask your son if he thinks working out has made it worse, and work off of his opinion. Despite what Allan said, working out can possibly help mask your son's condition, it's just different from person to person. I WOULD recommend that he start running or doing cardio though, to help shed some pounds. That will help it's appearance as well. As for the surgery, I have no authority to give you advice there. I would see a doctor. It sounds like he's a little young yet for the surgery, but ultimately, if it gets worse and doesn't go away, that may be the best option. Take care, -J.

Sorry if I came off as angry? But I was perfectly relaxed when I typed this. Actully I'm not that well in shape. His case sounds very familier to the one I had not more then a month ago, I'm just giving her my honest opinion.

The last statement I made was to respond to Billys who said that to stay in shape you must lift weights. I know lots of people who are in great shape without lifting weights.

Sorry if I came off as rude.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:56:19 PM by Allan7865 »

Offline mamason

• Posting Member
I appreciate the feedback guys.  The Doctor has referred us to a Pediactric Surgeon.  He said he will
do all the Hormone workup ect...

I really was hoping we wouldn't have to go the
surgery route but I guess we will see what this
next Doctor says.

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
In my opinion the lad is a little young to have a surgical procedure when there is a good chance it will go away as he gets older.

It is nasty when some idiots like to take  the mick and understandably he is upset. If he is going through puberty right now there is a chance it may come back if he has the surgery as his hormones may still be a bit off.

Apparently many surgeons like to wait until someone has finished puberty to get the optimum result. Deffo take him to see the paeditatiric surgeon and get his opinion on what best to do next. Hormones test are a wize move just to make sure everything is okay.

On diet and exercise keep him active as fat getting on his chest as well will make it look worse in my opinion. I had a pretty bad case myself and when I lost four stones there was a noticeable decrease in size. And I can wear t-shirts now without an issue. And even go swimming.just...

Weights are great for confidence and may stop the titty twisting ;D.I would err on the side of more reps rather than heavy weights as I would think bulking up may make it worse. This really depends on the case and how much is gland and fat I would think.

Cardio is good as well as Allan says and would keep that fat off his chest. Remember plenty of men have this problem to different degrees and it's great you are helping him out.

Offline Tired

• Bronze Member
I wish my mom did this for me at the age of 14.. So on behalf of us all here at gyne, we think you are a kick as mom!

Offline Sir_Puffs-a-lot

• Bronze Member

I disagree, I belive you can stay perfectly healthy with just cardio and good diet.

You changed your post??..."But what the hell do I know..." Haha, it's ok man, we've all had a rough time dealing with our problems, me included. I'd be lying if I said I never vented once in a while.  ;D -J.

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member

You changed your post??..."But what the hell do I know..." Haha, it's ok man, we've all had a rough time dealing with our problems, me included. I'd be lying if I said I never vented once in a while.  ;D -J.

I did change my post after I concluded that mark may have offended some people. I meant it as in that I'm not in that great shape so I wouldent know the best plan of action for staying healthy, I realised that it could also come off as being sarcastic.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024