Author Topic: scar care when?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline systimax

• Posting Member
when do you know when it is scar care time?

Usally you massage and apply a creme?

Any info?

thanks

Offline 4tuneit1

• Bronze Member
Scar care begins after the wound has sealed itself..usually about 4-7 days after surgery.  Bacitracin and clean steri-guaze with a compress will help to keep the wound from drying out, and the pressure to keep the scar tissue from raising.  After 14 days you could start applying OTC scar treatment silicon sheet, aka Maderma...depending on your tendency to scar.  Topical Vitamin E has had mixed opinions as it can cause contact dermititis in some individuals %30 in some studies.  In my case i don't scar very much and usually heal very fast, so i am right now 5 days post op and notice very little scarring as is...so i'm just keeping the healed wound covered and applying a bit of light cocoa butter and vitamin E as in my case i don't react to it.  Later, after a few weeks you should massage the area daily to keep scar formation down.  

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
Scar care begins after the wound has sealed itself..usually about 4-7 days after surgery.  Bacitracin and clean steri-guaze with a compress will help to keep the wound from drying out, and the pressure to keep the scar tissue from raising.  After 14 days you could start applying OTC scar treatment silicon sheet, aka Maderma...depending on your tendency to scar.  Topical Vitamin E has had mixed opinions as it can cause contact dermititis in some individuals %30 in some studies.  In my case i don't scar very much and usually heal very fast, so i am right now 5 days post op and notice very little scarring as is...so i'm just keeping the healed wound covered and applying a bit of light cocoa butter and vitamin E as in my case i don't react to it.  Later, after a few weeks you should massage the area daily to keep scar formation down.  

Im 2 weeks post-op now, and my ps told me not to put anything on the incisions, not to massage or do anything till I see him in another 3 weeks. ( at the 5 week mark).

he said just wear the vest as per his instructions and sit tight till then...

Do you think I could be missing out on valuable scar treatment time and healing potential my just 'sitting tight' right now?

I do have a tendency to scar badly.... and im taking a bunch of vitamins orally 2x daily.
... and the saga continues

Offline 4tuneit1

• Bronze Member

Im 2 weeks post-op now, and my ps told me not to put anything on the incisions, not to massage or do anything till I see him in another 3 weeks. ( at the 5 week mark).

he said just wear the vest as per his instructions and sit tight till then...

Do you think I could be missing out on valuable scar treatment time and healing potential my just 'sitting tight' right now?

I do have a tendency to scar badly.... and im taking a bunch of vitamins orally 2x daily.

I'm not a Dr... so take my advice lightly,  with your Dr.'s advice and your own knowledge of how you heal...

Don't massage until much further down the road...3 months or more...

Likely your nipples are stitched and steri-stripped, then a small guaze pad and clear adhesive covering.  The guaze works to absorb excess fluids that may weap out, and also as a compress on the nipple to allow it to stay undisturbed and flat.  

On your next check up, your Dr. will remove the steri strips and stiches and check on your incisions.  You need to shower between that checkup just for general health...Use an anti-bacterial soap like Dial and don't worry about getting the guaze wet... If it does, it just makes it easier to remove.  

So you'll definately need to replace the guaze with new guaze and some small bit of tape.  This is a good time for you to inspect your wound and see if it is healing nicely.  It may be red, have some dried blood etc...As long as it is not pussing, very swollen, or still oozing you should be ok.  Just reapply a bit of Bacitracin on the new guaze and re-tape it down over the steri-strips.  The Bacitracin will keep the wound healing nice and soft and no need to do much more than that.  Don't go overboard taping yourself, as a just a little is needed because the compression vest holds it in place fine.  Just something i did... I actually used these small cotton circular makeup removal pads my fiance has...they are slightly larger than my nipples, very soft and absorbant, less itchy, and left less of an irregular zone around my nipple.  My nipples also had completely healed over so that there was no open wound to worry about not being a sterile guaze.

I wouldn't be afraid to change your dressings and keep your incisions fresh, clean, and covered.  Your results will be better than an old, dry, and irritated covering.  You can then decide whether you want to apply cocoa butter or Vitamin E (but you should know whether you react to it) after 3 weeks.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
thanks so much for the in-depth response 4tuneit1.

I am 2 weeks post-op today.
I have been showering every second day since the 4th day postop, and since then have just allowed water in the shower to freely run onto my incisions. after the shower I just dab dry and place a piece of gauze/cotton make-up remover/whatever I can find thats soft over the nipple, make sure it sticks on, and then just throw the vest back on till the next shower.

apart from that and taking some vitamins (multi,e,c,b) orally I am not doing anything else ( no creams/topical treatments/silicon sheeting) , and have no plans to act further until I have seen my ps in another 3 weeks (at which point Ill be 5 weeks post-op).

do you think itll be ideal to not begin any massage or topical treatment until the 5-week mark?,.... or am I allowing a lower quality/rate of healing to take place now, as a result of not acting sooner,topically speaking ?

cheers
Tony

Offline 4tuneit1

• Bronze Member
thanks so much for the in-depth response 4tuneit1.

I am 2 weeks post-op today.
I have been showering every second day since the 4th day postop, and since then have just allowed water in the shower to freely run onto my incisions. after the shower I just dab dry and place a piece of gauze/cotton make-up remover/whatever I can find thats soft over the nipple, make sure it sticks on, and then just throw the vest back on till the next shower.

apart from that and taking some vitamins (multi,e,c,b) orally I am not doing anything else ( no creams/topical treatments/silicon sheeting) , and have no plans to act further until I have seen my ps in another 3 weeks (at which point Ill be 5 weeks post-op).

do you think itll be ideal to not begin any massage or topical treatment until the 5-week mark?,.... or am I allowing a lower quality/rate of healing to take place now, as a result of not acting sooner,topically speaking ?

cheers
Tony

2 weeks out and i think the most important thing to maximize your results would be just keeping the wound covered, clean.  Definately early to massage.  But not too early to use a silicone sheet or other scar minimizing product if you think it will help.  The better you treat it now, the less you'll have problems later...however some people just scar regardless what you do.  GOod luck!

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
thanks man!

I wasnt considering massage for a while still anyway, but had been thinking bout starting to use silicon sheeting... to get the best possible results later on.

heres the thing: I am very,very hairy - especially around the nipple area, and Ive heard this can presnet a problem for using silicon sheeting.
I have also heard about bad skin reactions to it, and how you have to put it on for a few hours only and then build it up over time. Also hear about washing the sheeting and recycling it and so forth.

are you yourself using it ? (I think youre 1 week post -op now yeh? - a week behind me)

Do you know much about what the whole process and protocol is with regard to using silicon sheeting??

cheers
T

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!

Offline 4tuneit1

• Bronze Member
thanks man!

I wasnt considering massage for a while still anyway, but had been thinking bout starting to use silicon sheeting... to get the best possible results later on.

heres the thing: I am very,very hairy - especially around the nipple area, and Ive heard this can presnet a problem for using silicon sheeting.
I have also heard about bad skin reactions to it, and how you have to put it on for a few hours only and then build it up over time. Also hear about washing the sheeting and recycling it and so forth.

are you yourself using it ? (I think youre 1 week post -op now yeh? - a week behind me)

Do you know much about what the whole process and protocol is with regard to using silicon sheeting??

cheers
T

I actually am not going to use any silicon sheeting...not unless something starts to really make them keloid, but i usually don't scar much at all.  I'm not too familiar with the different products or how to make best use of them...hairy chests would present a bit of a problem...i guess you would have to shave everytime you went to reapply them.  
Sorry i can't offer more info on this...

Cheers

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!

I actually am not going to use any silicon sheeting...not unless something starts to really make them keloid, but i usually don't scar much at all.  I'm not too familiar with the different products or how to make best use of them...hairy chests would present a bit of a problem...i guess you would have to shave everytime you went to reapply them.  
Sorry i can't offer more info on this...

Cheers

thanks for the feedback mate.
I guess Ill just wait till my ps appt in 2 weeks, and take it from there. Ill see if he thinks itll be a good idea to try silicon sheeting ...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024