Author Topic: lifting after surgery  (Read 5106 times)

Offline gr8gear

whats up all. have surgery planned for the first week of may. My question is regarding returning to my training regiment after the surgery.......how long b4 I am able to get back in the gym. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline brownman

• Gold Member
i was back to lifting in 10 days and i felt SUPER FINE :D i only really dropped on my bicep curls for some reason...

Offline 4tuneit1

• Bronze Member
10 days? Wow...did you work chest?  Isn't risk of swelling or hematoma still something to worry about so early with the stretching and lifting movements??

Offline brownman

• Gold Member
incline/decline/bench press :D

felt GREAT probably hepled skin stick as my muscle expanded did it on day 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

11-14 i did my normal routine

Offline big_country

I'm getting mine done may 15th, and my doc said it would be a month before i can lift. Even though I have a mild case and just the gland behind the nipple is being removed, no lipo anywhere else.

Offline big_country

The Juice......How many days apart are your pre and post op pics.

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
I would wait three to four weeks after op just to be on the safe side , i have read on a body building web site how some of the pro's hit the gym a few days after....lol  ??? 8)

Offline brownman

• Gold Member
i had a pretty bad case my photos are in the canada forum and i still coulda done it four days after........ i did it with the tensor on too!

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
Hi Brownman: Whats a tensor? is that a compression vest?
So u have no porblems at all with training early? I think i may copy you :). I am going on a beach holiday in june, so need to look good  ;D

Offline brownman

• Gold Member
yeah give it 10 days and go for it i started with 45's on the bench andw ent right to 45 + 25 the next day on each side.......

just take it "easy" i heal fast as hell had no bruising by day 7

tensor=vest but a big bandage which does the same thing

Offline big_country

yeah give it 10 days and go for it i started with 45's on the bench andw ent right to 45 + 25 the next day on each side.......

just take it "easy" i heal fast as hell had no bruising by day 7

tensor=vest but a big bandage which does the same thing

Do you have any pre and post op pics...I'm curious to see how bad you had it if you are able to to workout 10 days after surgery.

Offline 4tuneit1

• Bronze Member
IMO and my Dr's...I don't see the overall benefits outweighing the negatives working out so early in recovery...For one, your body's natural healing reserves will be in full force reconstructing all the damaged tissue, collagen, and removal of fluids from the surgery.  This takes ALOT of energy and your body is not neccesarily going to put that energy rebuilding muscle fibers before it gets to fixing all the other stuff.  The minor loss of muscle definition or "fitness" you may lose over say 3 weeks of not training is going to be more psychological than physical.  Most heavy lifters would benefit from taking the due time off anyways, to help heal up niggling aches, and strains.  10 days seems way too early even for a "fast" healer... 2 weeks would seem to be the utmost minimum amount of time to start training again lightly, and 3-4 weeks would be a reasonable starting point.  The surgery is not a minor procedure, i can't understand how some would treat their recovery in that manner after having to pay such a price for having gyne.    ???

Offline brownman

• Gold Member
check Canada forum

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
For the love of god, please do not lift weights 10 days after surgery just because it worked for one person. Listen to what your doctor tells you and you should be fine.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
IMO and my Dr's...I don't see the overall benefits outweighing the negatives working out so early in recovery...For one, your body's natural healing reserves will be in full force reconstructing all the damaged tissue, collagen, and removal of fluids from the surgery.  This takes ALOT of energy and your body is not neccesarily going to put that energy rebuilding muscle fibers before it gets to fixing all the other stuff.  The minor loss of muscle definition or "fitness" you may lose over say 3 weeks of not training is going to be more psychological than physical.  Most heavy lifters would benefit from taking the due time off anyways, to help heal up niggling aches, and strains.  10 days seems way too early even for a "fast" healer... 2 weeks would seem to be the utmost minimum amount of time to start training again lightly, and 3-4 weeks would be a reasonable starting point.  The surgery is not a minor procedure, i can't understand how some would treat their recovery in that manner after having to pay such a price for having gyne.    ???

agree- 100%

I am 3 weeks post-op today, and I wont be touching a weight until at least the 6-week mark.
my healing is piority, and what difference is it really gonna make to my overall muscle-mass and physique  if I start lifting weights now or in 3 weeks or 6 weeks or whenever ? - not much
... and the saga continues

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024