Author Topic: Important question. Please read.  (Read 2833 times)

Offline aux513s

• Silver Member
How much does a blood test to check for hormone levels cost?

Offline bennyha

• Posting Member
i recently went to an endocrinologist and he had me get my blood checked. All together my cost was $405. Hope this helps

Offline atm311

• Bronze Member
  • Lost appeal with insurance...BC/ BS of NJ
Prices vary a huge amount.

If you go to an endo, it may cost you more than your regular doctor, but it is VERY MUCH worth the money. The endo is an expert in the area that you need help in, as your family doctor is only familiar with it.

You may be able to get your regular doctor to do a hormone level test, but an endo would be much more "equipped" to interpret the results properly.

- ATM
- Matt

There is hope without surgery....I got REALLY LUCKY.
Stay strong everyone!

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
good advice atm.  Your family dr. will try and sell you on their knowledge of gyne and their ability to accurately read the tests.  See an endo who specilizes in reproductive issues.

Gine2D

Dr. Shippen. an expert on hormones, stated that saliva tests are accurate.

Saliva tests can be ordered on the internet without a prescription in all states except CA.

ZRT is one maker of hormone saliva tests, they are about $30.00 per test.  Other companies sell saliva tests.

You have to do a lot of spitting in a tube before breakfast for each test.

You get the results in about a week or two.

I have use them & will again.  I can get several tests for the cost of a doctors visit.  If the results are out of my expected range I then go to the endo & discuss the results & maybe change the prescription.

Try to checkout a copy of Dr. Shippen's book "The Testosterone Syndrome" from the public library.

G

Offline hypo

I agree with the book Gine2d- Dr Shippen is excellent (I don't recall reading anything about saliva testing in it though), but I and many other men have found very unreliable results from saliva testing.

For instance I had one test that stated my testosterone was four times the top of the normal range and my bloods stated that my testosterone was mid range normal.

This is not to say that saliva testing per say cannot be reliable- it is just what I and other men have experienced.

Perhaps the company and the assay that you use is a lot better and more reliable than the ones ive used.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 03:09:52 AM by hypo »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024