Author Topic: COMPRESSION VEST HOW LONG.  (Read 4234 times)

Offline bigtymer11235

• Posting Member
My doctor told me to keep it on for 2 weeks post op and then take it off and I can start exercising after 2 weeks.  Doesnt this seem too early,, because after 8 days post op I noticed lots of swelling and fluid buildup.  Does compression help reduce the swelling fluid or should I stop wearing the vest?

Offline SC GameCOCKS

• Gold Member
  • Unsuccessful Lipo...Excision Revision..still Puffy
I would wear it for ATLEAST 3 weeks....then after that a tight underarmor shirt for another.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 06:43:22 AM by captaincalboy »
8 years of suffering Mild gyne...
2 surgeries & $6,000 later....
         STILL PUFFY   :/

Offline omahaguy1234

• Posting Member
i was told a full 4-6 weeks, and definitely no lifting (weights) or working out until at least after week 6...

Offline halo2006

• Posting Member
i was told 3 weeks. and working out after 4 weeks. just see how your body is doing, everyone heals at a different rate.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Like halo says, everyone heals different.

I was told to wear my compression vest for 30 days and start lifting after 6 weeks.  That's exactly what I did and I'm happy.

Do what the dr. says. He knows how much work he did on you and how quickly you're likely to recover. He knows your medical history, it's best to do what he says.

Besides, if you do what he says and the results don't look good, you can always to back and give him hell.

Offline docfore4

• Posting Member
Can i just use an under armour instead of the compression vest after week 1? It's pretty tight on me and actually seems like it provides more compression than the vest and its less obtrusive and obvious than the vest is.

Anyone know of any pros/cons?

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
Ok, people often debate this topic.  You should wear it as long as you feel comfortable.  Many people like the support and security, as even just walking without a vest post-op hurts like hell.

My PS has been a surgeon for 30 years and told me he's never seen a difference in results from people wearing the vest for 1 week versus 6 months.  He only instructed me to wear my vest for 1 week and that worked fine for me.

Like I said, it hurt to walk from the vibration, and this is definitely reason for people to want to continue wearing their vest, however it's really not necessary to wear past 7 days or so, in terms of having your skin adhere to the tissue.

That's really the biggest focus for the vest: to have the skin adhere to the new tissue.  This process takes roughly 1 week, which is why you're free to remove it afterward.  I've seen people instructed to wear their vest for over a month and I think that's a little ridiculous considering my experiences.  However, like stated previously, many people heal differently.

Generally though, I say you're fine to wear it for 1-2 weeks and then take it off.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:42:10 AM by nukem2k5 »
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline nukem2k5

Can i just use an under armour instead of the compression vest after week 1? It's pretty tight on me and actually seems like it provides more compression than the vest and its less obtrusive and obvious than the vest is.

Anyone know of any pros/cons?

Go for it.  Just use your head - if it hurts, don't do it.  Obviously no real weight training for a good 4-6 weeks, and even then, start out light.  I'm surprised that you feel able to even move your arms enough to put on an Under Armor shirt.  

Offline SC GameCOCKS

• Gold Member
  • Unsuccessful Lipo...Excision Revision..still Puffy

Go for it.  Just use your head - if it hurts, don't do it.  Obviously no real weight training for a good 4-6 weeks, and even then, start out light.  I'm surprised that you feel able to even move your arms enough to put on an Under Armor shirt.  

If he had just excision...he could move his arms enough to put it on just two days after. My revision was excision only and I was essentially painfree 2 days post op

Offline nukem2k5

Yeah, sometimes I forget that I had the incision in my armpits.  This would be why it hurt to lift my arms for 2-3 weeks.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024