Author Topic: I think im ready...  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Danosaur

• Bronze Member
Before I start, when I hover over the subject line it goes to it, and when I hover over the message box it goes to it, with out a click... is that new?

any way, I live in philly, does anyone know and surgons?

I got a look at my self in a tri mirror and didnt like what I saw, at all...I would be alot happier to get surgery, because the gland will never go away...

How much do you think it will all cost, I guess I can make an appointment, what are my first steps.  

I am turning 18 this summer and would like this done on winter break of 2006 going into 2007.  

Will the gland ever come back after surgery?  

Im not worried about fat on my chest, nor do I care about a  big chest persay, as long as the d**n gland is gone.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 04:16:44 PM by Danosaur »

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Before I start, when I hover over the subject line it goes to it, and when I hover over the message box it goes to it, with out a click... is that new?

I got a look at my self in a tri mirror and didnt like what I saw, at all...I would be alot happier to get surgery, because the gland will never go away...

How much do you think it will all cost, I guess I can make an appointment, what are my first steps.  

I am turning 18 this summer and would like this done on winter break of 2006 going into 2007.  

Im not worried about fat on my chest, nor do I care about a  big chest persay, as long as the d**n gland is gone.

Look on the local boards for Philly Dr's.  If not in philly, you're not too far from NY where I know of at least 2 great Dr.'s.  You're not that far from Bermant either.

DrBermant

Gynecomastia Surgery Does Not Prevent Regrowth

I caution each of my patients that surgery does not typically stop male breast growth.  If there is a problem with growing breasts, recurrence can happen.  Any of these medical problems and or these medications can cause gynecomastia. So, if you want to get worried about regrowth, you could get yourself evaluated for each of these conditions to see if they could be a factor.

Surgery also does not prevent weight gain in the chest.  Men tend to put weight on the belly and chest regions.  I educate each of my patients that this surgery will not prevent further breast growth.  It is like changing/fixing a tire with a nail.  Fixing/changing the tire will not prevent you from getting a new nail in that tire.

I take care of many patients with gynecomastia, as many as 8 in one day alone.  With all the gynecomastia surgery I have done, it is very rare to have regrowth for patients I have sculpted.  One patient (who had surgery on only side by another doctor) came to me with pro hormone induced gynecomastia that only came back on the side that had no surgery.  His growth was massive on the one side and none on the other.  His surgery by that other doctor had left a massive crater - the skin was adherent against the chest wall with normal fat surrounding the ugly deformity.  One side looked like the deformity seen here.  The other side was almost a B cup breast so tender that I could barely examine it.  As with each patient who presented to me with current breast growth, he was referred for an endocrinology evaluation and stabilization before considering surgery.  I do not know if such radical surgery was a factor or not.   Even if it did, removing all fat under the skin just gives an unnatural look.

I prefer to target the gland first with my Dynamic Technique. This permits me to remove most of the gland and then sculpt the remainng tissue to minimze contour problems.  Any surgery technique, even radical breast mastectomy for male breast cancer can leave gland behind.  The problem is that there are fine fingers of gland that dissect between fingers of fat and can extend quite far into the chest.

You can see what I mean by fingers of gland here.

By concentrating on the gland first I am able to minimize the chance of breast regrowth.  It is very rare for my patients to have recurrence.  However, gynecomastia surgery does not stop breast regrowth.  For patients having breast growth, I have advised for many years that they should get their problem under control before surgery.  There are exceptions, such as young men with massive breasts that have not stopped growing.  That is why each case needs to be individually evaluated.  

Prevention of gynecomastia, when possible, is much better.

Secondary Surgery is often an option for those who had prior surgery.  Such issues are better discussed during a consultation with your surgeon or someone who can advise you about your options.  We help patients explore such issues during consultations or preliminary remote discussions.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Danosaur

• Bronze Member
Dr Bermant where are you located.  

And what are my first steps, go to my regular doctor?

DrBermant

Dr Bermant where are you located.  

And what are my first steps, go to my regular doctor?

We are located next to Richmond Virginia.  

For patients who must travel a distance to see us, we have a preliminary remote package.This preliminary remote evaluation permits me to learn more about a patient: his concerns, medical issues, and prior treatment (if any).  Our patients answer several pages of questions and send pictures (using standardized views).  We then set up a time for a telephone discussion where I can continue the education patients have started by reviewing my website.  For patients with prior surgery, operative reports and details of prior male chest surgery are pieces of the puzzle that can help explain what has happened.

Each patient still needs an in office examination before surgery can be offered.  To minimize travel, our patients can have a tentative operative date reserved the day after the in office confirmatory consultation.

This process permits a remote mutual exploration and learning experience to see what my sculpture techniques may have to offer.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024