Author Topic: I finally made the first step...  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Chodel

• Silver Member
  • Défectuosité toujours
Went to see my doctor today.  I was nervous and worried at how he might react, but I did have a level of confidence in him as he has been very good in the past (concerning general health matters).

As I was sat in the reception waiting to go in I could feel myself welling up, tears were forming but I fought them back.  Its taken a long time to get this far, many ups and many more downs.  I went there with the intention of trying to get across to him how much it effects my every living moment.

As i stepped in the door I confidently and with semi forced smile greeted him and sat down.  As soon as I went to tell him what I was there for I broke down crying.  In a way I had a feeling I might react like this.  I have tried my hardest to suppress my emotions concerning this...illness...for so long and the flood gates were certainly open at that moment in time.

Looking back at it I am sort of grinning to myself when I consider his reaction.  He sat there semi taken-a-back and partly sympathetic.  I was desperately trying to gain my voice but unable to due to my blubbering.

To cut a long conversation short.  He was very understanding and totally aware of what I was describing both physically and emotionally.  He examined me and as I already knew - diagnosed gynecomastia.

One thing that resonated with me was the following; he said "I wish you had of come to see me earlier". - So do I.  I am having a blood test next week just to check the hormones situation and he is going to contact a surgeon, who he said would be just right.

Sorry (for those of you who bothered to read the above) was a bit long winded, but felt I needed to write it down.

I am still concerned about who will do the operation.  How many times they have done this surgery before etc?  How do I go about checking this?  Do I just ask him?  Also what procedure he will use.  Some of you have mentioned lipo and others cutting away the tissue.  Whats best?

I also read one of the recent posts that seems to mention pain rather a lot.  Concerned the lipo (if thats what i have) is going to hurt a lot.

I am a slightly happier person for having been to see him and it’s the first step hopefully in maybe sorting out something that has consumed and controlled my life for far too long now.

What are we without hope?  And there is certainly hope for us all.

thank you to those of you who took the time to read the above.

Offline jk_2k8

• Posting Member
  • Blah!!!
Well, good for you!  :D

Gland excision is the main focus, the surgeon will decide if lipo is necessary, unless you convince him/her otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 03:32:43 PM by jk_2k8 »
Gyne since: 13
When's surgery: My 18th B-Day

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Sorry (for those of you who bothered to read the above) was a bit long winded, but felt I needed to write it down.

That's why we are here dude.....  ;)

Thanks for sharing your story...  :)  

I am still concerned about who will do the operation.

If your GP has a PS in mind, go see him/her. If you are not overly impressed by them (credentials, gyne reduction experience etc...) then select a PS of your own choosing. You don't have to go with the PS that your GP referrs you to! Don't let your GP make you think otherwise...  You don't want to have surgery performed by a surgeon who only does 2 or 3 gyne reduction procedures a year....  :o :o :o

How many times they have done this surgery before? What procedure he will use?

When you go for your consultation with the PS, ask the above mentioned questions and any others that you can think of. It's your body dude. You have the 'right to know' exactly what is going to happen to you.

Some of you have mentioned lipo and others cutting away the tissue.  Whats best?

That's another question to ask the PS. He/she 'should' know what is 'best' for you. On the other hand however, Lipo 'only' procedures often do not provide satisfactory results. Most patients require Excision 'and' Lipo.

I also read one of the recent posts that seems to mention pain rather a lot.  Concerned the lipo (if thats what i have) is going to hurt a lot.

That depends on how much work has to be done, the PS's skill and the patients tollerance to pain. I'm a big suck when it comes to pain but I found there was very little of it after my Op. And..... as I was fairly big, I'm sure Dr. Fielding did extensive Lipo. It was more of a discomfort as if I had just had a grueling chest workout. Don't get your shorts in a bind over post-op discomfort/pain dude. If you have a tough time with it, take some pain killers....  ;D

John.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 04:39:00 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline silly_guy

• Silver Member
Pain really shouldn't be an issue in most cases.  I mean it's uncomfortable and all, but not like (owwwwwwwieeeee!) painful!

Actually the worst part for me was a sore throat from that anesthesia thing they stick in your throat. At least that better be what that was! haha jk.

Oh, and congrats for taking that first step!

Oh, and you probably already know this, but do your homework.  Try and go with a (truely) experienced surgeron, preferably one recommeneded here!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Your experience at the Doctor is not at all unusual.

I often advise people to put on paper what their problem is and how it is effecting their life.

Then when the Doctor comes into the room you can simply hand over the paper and wait for the doctor to ask specific questions.

Try to be both as brief and as complete as possible in what you put on the paper as the Doctor will have very little time to read it.  If it is too long they may not even try.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024