Author Topic: Local anaesthesia only for liposucttion - insane?  (Read 3710 times)

Offline MonarchX

• Bronze Member
My dotor told me that its going to hurt so freaking much if we do local anaesthesia + Valium because he will break the gland with a sharp cannula and suck most of it out.

However, I read online that some liposuctions are performed without any sedation under regular local Lidocaine anaesthesia and the person felt no pain.  Is that true?

Offline SC GameCOCKS

• Gold Member
  • Unsuccessful Lipo...Excision Revision..still Puffy
u would be crazy to get local only with lipo  ::)
8 years of suffering Mild gyne...
2 surgeries & $6,000 later....
         STILL PUFFY   :/

Offline MonarchX

• Bronze Member
Don't some doctors do it though?

Now I am quite scared.  Wouldn't Valium be enough to relax me?  

Offline MonarchX

• Bronze Member
Is there something that a doctor can prescribe me that is stronger than Valium but does not require an anaesthesiologist?

Lets put it this way...I can easily handle several needles going through my hand.  It doesn't bother me.  I, however, haven't had any liposuction done.

Offline cantchooseaname

• Posting Member
Nothing to be worried about!  I had local and my doctor only gave me a little shot with valium beforehand.  The local anesthesia completely numbs your entire chest.  You wont be able to feel a dang thing.  At least I didnt feel anything.

I was worried about it as well and actually tried to convince my surgeon to use general anesthesia, but I am thankful he talked me into using only local.  It is much easier than being completely put to sleep.  The whole time I didnt feel anything, and then once it was over I got off the table and walked away.  Very simple!

Offline MonarchX

• Bronze Member
Nothing to be worried about!  I had local and my doctor only gave me a little shot with valium beforehand.  The local anesthesia completely numbs your entire chest.  You wont be able to feel a dang thing.  At least I didnt feel anything.

I was worried about it as well and actually tried to convince my surgeon to use general anesthesia, but I am thankful he talked me into using only local.  It is much easier than being completely put to sleep.  The whole time I didnt feel anything, and then once it was over I got off the table and walked away.  Very simple!

Yeah.  It seems both of us are doing exactly against what is normal or recommended by plastic surgeons.

Did you doctor make 4 incision for each chest side?  Mine can't make more than 1 incision about 1.5 inches underneatht he nipple because of the muscle that gets in the way.  I hope thats enough though.

Offline cantchooseaname

• Posting Member
My doctor only made 2 incisions on each side.  On both sides there was one towards the center of my chest and the other more towards the armpit.  The incisions were VERY tiny!  Most only took one stitch to close up but others took two.  Hope this helps!

Offline SC GameCOCKS

• Gold Member
  • Unsuccessful Lipo...Excision Revision..still Puffy

General is the easiest of any anesthesia...i had both and would never do local again.

Offline cantchooseaname

• Posting Member

General is the easiest of any anesthesia...i had both and would never do local again.

How come?

Offline Ffurg

• Posting Member
Because it works like this, you fall asleep one second. Then literally the next second (in your sense of reality) your awake again and it's all over.

You rest for 30 mins feeling a little sleepy and slightly disorientated, and then your up and around, all over.

I had a lipoma (small hard fatty ball) removed from my arm once. And sure the local meant I felt no pain. But still it was an unpleasant tugging feeling waiting for it to be over. And that only took about 20 minutes. I couldn't bear the idea of lying there for 2 hours being poked prodded and pulled at. Pain or no pain, it's no fun journey to go on.

Honestly general is just mind blowing, you fall asleep without even realizing it, then the next second your awake and your wondering when the op is going to start... and then you look down at your bandaged flat chest and realize it's all over. Totally fukkin awesome.

Ffurg

Offline cantchooseaname

• Posting Member
I have had both local and general.  I must say that I prefer the local anesthesia.  I hate the feeling of being put to sleep and the feeling it brings after when trying to wake up.  Also, the local anesthesia doesnt wear off for close to 2 days, so the day after the operation is virtually pain free.

Offline jack9

• Bronze Member
I had local for lipo.  I had an IV and was injected with meds.  It put me in a twilight sedation.  I had tumescent lipo so the anesthetic was used in the chest as well.  I had minimal pain until the following day.  I had 2 tiny incisions on each side.  One under the the arm and one under the breast.  I prefer to avoid general anesthesia at all costs because of the possible complications. In fact I probably would not have had the procedure if I had to have general.  When researching tumescent lipo, I read that no deaths had ever been attributed to it.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024