Author Topic: nolvadex and gynecomastia  (Read 6962 times)

Offline NDean

Can Nolvadex prevent Gynecomastia? What if I stack it with Superdrol?  II recently was diagnosed with gynecomastia on my left side and got it cut out.  If I take nolvadex and Superdrol together, will it keep me from getting gynecomastia on my other side?
Thanks

Offline hazzard623

• Bronze Member
  • zap that gyno
in theory it should prevent gyne and is used by many as a PCT.make sure u read up on the right dose of nolva first.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The man who medicates himself has both a fool for a Doctor, and a fool for a patient.

It would make a lot more sense to see a real Doctor.
Grandpa Dan

Offline pimpshitrofl

• Posting Member
Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air
In West Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool
And shootin' some B-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighbourhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"
I whistled for a cab and when it came near the
License plate said "Fresh" and had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought nah, forget it, yo homes to bel-air
I pulled up to a house about seven or eight
And I yelled to the cabbie "Yo homes, smell you later"
Looked at my kingdom I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air

Offline flex1appeal

Novaldex is an estrogen blocker. Most people usually take it PCT because that is when your body is most susceptible to getting gyno. Why? Because you testosterone to estrogen levels are most imbalanced after a cycle. You body takes a while to kick it's own test production back on. And because of this, your estrogen levels become higher and start to affect breast tissue development. Taking novaldex during your superdrol use would be a good idea but more importantly, use it for about 2 months following it's use just to make sure your body is up to par.

Offline Hypo-is-here

Alternatively he could not use anything that boosts testosterone and aromatises into estradiol and go for natural gains given the fact that he has already had a problem with gynecomastia,  that way he would have no requirement to use Tamoxifen and no thoughts of volenti non fit injuria. 

Genetics and general endocrine health, dosing and a multitude of other factors come into the equation and there is no way that anyone can state that taking Tamoxifen will 100% prevent gynecomastia recurrence irrespective of dosage as the factors above and response of the HPTA, Liver etc are all involved.  His endocrine system is hopefully in good working order, when you tinker/mess with it via self medication that does not always remain the case.

The key to pro bodybuilders or even your average bodybuilder not getting gynecomastia has as much to do with good genetics/very favorable endocrine health, regular pathology/understanding of pathology and dosing based on pathology results as it does with simply throwing anti estrogens at the body.

A few adages;

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

A pride comes before a fall.  

Forewarned is forearmed.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:43:47 AM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline flex1appeal

Genetics, my friend, have really nothing to do with it. The only cause of gynecomastia that I am aware of is a poor ratio of testosterone to estrogen level.

The bottom line with gynecomastia is that it occurs due to an abnormality in the ratio of testosterone to estrogens in the body. When this ratio is low, the estrogen effect is stronger and stimulates the growth of the tissue around the breast. The testosterone which is most important is that which is not bound to protein in the blood, in other words, the free serum testosterone. This has been found to be lower in boys with gynecomastia compared to those without, while all the other hormone levels were about the same.

With that said, it really is quite possible to prevent gyno in someone with a usually perfect ratio, but in fact has a low ratio caused by steroid use. Blocking estrogen or preventing aromatization with the use of novaldex, arimidex, clomid, or whatever does work. Now, once you develope gyno, these drugs will not get rid of it. For that is not their purpose. There is no drug that can get rid of already existing gyno. None that I am aware of anyhow.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 05:21:58 PM by flex1appeal »

Offline Hypo-is-here

Genetics, my friend, have really nothing to do with it. The only cause of gynecomastia that I am aware of is a poor ratio of testosterone to estrogen level.

You are misinformed and in all honesty you don't want to get started on this subject unless you want me to explain chapter and verse in details way beyond what you are aware of or can in fact comprehend.

Trust me when I tell you that genetics are indeed very much involved.

Offline flex1appeal

If you say so my friend. ;)

Offline Hypo-is-here

No.....please don't wink at me otherwise I will have to go into overdrive and explain everything ;)

Trust me I am correct in what i say.

Seriously ask around before trying to pull my chain.

It is a very boring detailed chain...I wouldn't want to pull it myself..awful stuff ::)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:19:13 PM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Myself, Both brothers, All four sons, and all my grandsons over the age of 12 have some degree of gynecomastia;   It surely can be a family trait.

Offline flex1appeal

Ok, let me back up for a minute. I am not saying genetics aren't a reason why some people get gyno. I was merely going into the direct cause. Genetics, I am sure, have a huge role in determining the reason people get gyno. But that is a general explaination. The actual cause for gyno is a testosterone to estrogen ratio. And maybe some people's "genetics" are the reason the ratio is so low. That's all I am saying. Enough of the bickering now please. I am not your enemy nor am I a complete idiot. I do know somewhat of what I am talking about though I am by no means an expert on the matter. But I do know enough about the human physiology. I did get my degree in kinesiology from a well known university. And by all means, if you have some light to shed on the subject, I am all ears. I don't care how boring you may think it is. I can listen to what you have to say bro. Shoot.....

Offline Hypo-is-here

Oh dear I wish you didn't say that, as I'm now forced to explain the realities :'(

I'll get back to you.

I say that because I'm buggered if I'm going to start wording it all now as it is late in the UK.

You'll have to excuse me, but there is another person like youself questioning me and telling me how to suck eggs every other week.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 04:33:23 PM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline flex1appeal

I can see you wanna get rude now. Well, I'll interpret your last post to mean you have to research on the internet to back up your statements and then post later cause you just don't have time for any origional thoughts of your own? Very well then. Have at the arguement bro cause it takes 2 to argue and I am done with you. You bore me frankly. So explain all you want but I am done posting in this thread. Never meant this to become a nasty debate which is what you are attempting to make this. You must be one of those pompous european cats who thinks they know it all. Fine...you are right and I am wrong. Happy???? I just ended it now. Sheeesh

Offline Hypo-is-here

I am sorry if I came across as rude, it is just that I have posted responses to these types of posts so many times before and it can get a bit repetitive and tiring after doing it every other week for two years as the answers are quite long and drawnout....but forgive me that is not your fault and I was a bit boorish.  

I did not have to look go away and research anything I have hypogonadism and know only too well all the ins and outs of what I am about to go through.

Ok, let me back up for a minute. I am not saying genetics aren't a reason why some people get gyno. I was merely going into the direct cause. Genetics, I am sure, have a huge role in determining the reason people get gyno. But that is a general explaination.

You have radically changed what you are saying, as prior you were saying that genetics were not a factor, something that was wrong.  At least what you are saying now, that genetics have a huge role in determining the reason people get gynecomastia is correct.

Bad genetics are not a general explanation for a poor androgen to estrogen ratio, low level of free testosterone or dihydrotestosterone or inability of the body to deal with androgens.  They are top of the food chain in terms of cause and effect and the very heart/reason for androgen related problem and gynecomastia in some men.

A poor androgen to estrogen ratio, low level of free testosterone or dihydrotestosterone or inability of the body to deal with androgens is not the root cause of gynecomastia in men with bad genetics but the symptom or expression of poor genetics in action.

e.g

Many men with Klinefelter Syndrome develop gynecomastia as a result of the expression of the genetic chromosomal abnormality behind the syndrome that causes the relative imbalance of sex hormones.

We wouldn’t say that the direct cause of gynecomastia in men with Klinefelters is the low androgen to estrogen ratio; we would say that this is the expression of genetics.

Gynecomastia occurs in many men during puberty, equally it does not occur in many others; Why?

Well, we all have our very own individual levels of sex hormones, our endocrine system and balance involves many hormones, and negative feedback systems that come together to create a hormonal symphony.  Why does one man have a lowish level of testosterone and another man a high level? Why does one man have high dihydrotestosterone and another not?  Why does one man have low SHBG another high?  Why does one man have a lowish TSH another high?  Why is one man naturally muscular and another not?  Why does one man naturally get gynecomastia during puberty another not?  Why does one man develop gynecomastia on a set steroid and dose and another not?

The root cause, the answer?

Genetics.

It is what programs the endocrine system to start with.

To be fair to you I think you meant to say that the end resulting problem stems from a poor testosterone to estrogen ratio, which is partially right, but partially wrong in the way you word it (I’ll come to that later).  But I just wanted to clear up the fact that genetics are higher up the hierarchical structure/ and the root cause of gynecomatia in many cases and that is what results in the problem in the first place.

It is the one of the reasons why taking Tamoxifen post AAS cycle or testosterone boosters does not guarantee that an individual will not develop gynecomastia, particularly if they have been shown to be predisposed to it in the past.

It is part of the reason as to why your advise to NDean was Bad.

Better advice would have been for him to not take AAS or testosterone boosters given he hopefully has A) a healthy endocirne system at present and B) is predisposed to gynecomastia.  If he doesn't take the above he will remain healthy and gynecomastia free, something that cannot be gaurenteed if he takes your advice.

Ok so I think I have covered the heart of this debate/problem, but I will explain a few things relating to one of your comments.

The only cause of gynecomastia that I am aware of is a poor ratio of testosterone to estrogen level.

You have read a little and you have a take on matters that isn’t too distant from the truth, but you don’t know enough about what you are talking about.

First of all 10% of all gynecomastia sufferers have the condition as a result of hypogonadism according to the latest research and hypogonadism is a lack of testosterone and or its metabolites.  One of those metabolites is dihydrotestosterone.

A lack of or low level of dihydrotestosterone can and dose cause gynecomastia and this has nothing to do with the testosterone to estrogen ratio.

This fact is seen in men taking finasteride or other anti-dihydrotestoterone medications for prostate cancer, and men with 5 alpha Reductase Deficiency.  

It is also seen in men taking medications for hair loss that contain finasteride such as Propecia and Proscar etc.

I have seen dozens upon dozens of men come through this website over the past two years who developed gynecomastia as a result of taking these medications.

So dihydrotestosterone is also very important.

The bottom line with gynecomastia is that it occurs due to an abnormality in the ratio of testosterone to estrogens in the body. When this ratio is low, the estrogen effect is stronger and stimulates the growth of the tissue around the breast. The testosterone which is most important is that which is not bound to protein in the blood, in other words, the free serum testosterone. This has been found to be lower in boys with gynecomastia compared to those without, while all the other hormone levels were about the same.

Again you have a reasonable level of knowledge but not enough to make the statements that you do.  I have already explained the importance of dihydrotestosterone, something that you have not been aware of, I will now explain how your general and for the most part good explanation of the situation is not good enough to make such strong categorical statements.

You spoke about the importance of free testosterone, that which is not bound in the blood (the protein is called Sex hormone binding Globulin or SHBG).  This is true, free testosterone is very important as is free estradiol which you haven’t mentioned, but it is not very important if the individual has PAIS (Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome) or any other defect in the coding of the androgen receptors.

In fact every individual has a differing response to AAS based upon their individual androgen receptor coding and their number of CAG androgen receptor repeats.

The coding of the androgen receptors means that some men are very sensitive to androgens whereas some, some less so and then again som men are quite insensitive to their action.  This effect is not something that is down to the testosterone to estrogen ratio, or the free testosterone to free estrogen ratio, neither is it related to the levels of other differing hormones.

As well as the issues relating to the androgen receptors and sensitivity to androgens, we also have issues that relate to the sensitivity to the estrogen receptors and the sensitivity that an individual has to estrogens.

Gynecomastia is known to run in some families even where they have a reasonable androgen to estrogen ratio, reasonable levels of free testosterone and no genetic abnormality relating to the androgen receptor.  Such families/male members are very sensitive to estrogen, this is very poorly understood but almost certainly relates to a genetic coding abnormality of the estrogen receptors.  

Again the above indicates the huge impact that genetics have when it comes to this issue.

The bottom line is, it is not wise to play with a healthy endocrine system and with AAS irrespective of any PCT that can be taken as you cannot guarantee that gynecomastia will not result.  Once again I say your advice was and is bad.

With that said, it really is quite possible to prevent gyno in someone with a usually perfect ratio, but in fact has a low ratio caused by steroid use. Blocking estrogen or preventing aromatization with the use of novaldex, arimidex, clomid, or whatever does work. Now, once you develope gyno, these drugs will not get rid of it. For that is not their purpose. There is no drug that can get rid of already existing gyno. None that I am aware of anyhow.

Yes it is possible and this does work for some men, otherwise they wouldn’t take it.  But why play Russian roulette when it comes to getting gynecomastia.  You say “it is possible”, this is interesting wording as of course we also know that many people end up coming unstuck even with PCT and develop gynecomastia.

A)
When taking AAS or testosterone boosters,  you do not know on a cellular level how sensitive you are to androgens or estrogens and this can result in not taking a high enough dose of PCT and result in gynecomastia, in fact some men will develop gynecomastia on a steroid cycle never mind post cycle.  Of course some men will take too high a dose of PCT and as a result will feel all the effects of low free estrogen (thyroid dysfunction, lowered libido, fatigue, hot flushes and erectile dysfunction).

B)
If an individual takes too high a dose of an aromatase inhibitor as PCT, instead of boosting the Hypothalamic pituitary testicular axis (HPTA) and endogenous androgen production, something it does in low doses, it will actually suppress the HPTA and endogenous androgen production.  This means that the PCT would leave the individual with a lowered androgen to estrogen ratio post than they had prior to AAS and this can result in the development of gynecomastia.  I know this affect of aromatase inhibitors first hand from taking it myself as part of my treatment for hypogoandism.  I saw this effect from my own pathology when I was mistakenly overdosed and I have seen it when looking at the pathology of other men.

C)
Some men taking AAS develop hypogondism via damage to the HPTA, they end up with impaired function of the pituitary or the testicles that is semi-permanent or permanent.  This has happened in some men after one cycle and in others after multiple cycles.  I have known quite a few men that this has happened to.  Of course no PCT is likely to recover such function and as a result gynecomastia can develop.

D)
If a man taking AAS has an underlying liver condition (most people who do have no knowledge of such- 8% of all gynecomastia sufferers are thought to suffer from liver disease according to the latest research) then the use of anti estrogens such as Tamoxifen can aggravate the liver and reduce function resulting in gynecomastia.  I have known men to take AAS and Tamoxifen as a PCT who have had very high levels of estradiol evidenced by pathology.  This was not a problem when they were on Tamoxifen, however once the Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator (SERM) medication wore off they were left with a still high blood level of estradiol that was now able to act in their system and result in gynecomastia- a rebound effect.

I could go on and on and on but I wont.

I took a great deal of time writing this mail and providing a proper response and I did so from my own knowledge base and it is all in my own words.  

I hope it makes you think a little before suggesting to people that they should tamper with their own endocrine system, I’m sure you wouldn’t want your advice to result in a guy developing gynecomastia.  

Once again please accept my apologies for being a little rude/boorish in prior posts.  

P.S

Just to note anti estrogens, aromatase inhibitors, dihydrotestosterone etc can reduce and sometimes resolve gynecomastia in some men contary to what what you have said and they are sometimes used for this very purpose by competent prescribing endocrinologists.  That said surgery remains the most statistically successful treatment of the condition.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 05:42:55 AM by Hypo-is-here »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024