Author Topic: dr. sans-emotion  (Read 1560 times)

Offline GyneWithTheWind

• Posting Member
am i asking too much of my PS to be a little more reassuring and not go on with his monotonous tone as he recites a memorized script that he uses on all his gyne patients.  I really felt like just another number who, if willing to have surgery, would get cut up and throw out...$8000 dollars later.  I think thats a lot of money! and i expect a PS who is going to at least portray some sympathy/empathy whatever you wanna call it towards the patient.  I dont know, perhaps i am over-reacting, possibly because i really didnt expect my case to cost so much(as everybody claims i dont have it)--if i didnt have it why would the PS charge $8000! there goes my new car. I AM getting surgery, just now i'm uncertain about things. i dont know....my dilemma stems from this: he's supposed to be THE best PS in gyne...i felt confident w/ him before meeting him, no im very doubtful...

-patient rights activist
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:25:47 PM by GyneWithTheWind »

Offline nargle

• Posting Member
$8000?  Who is this surgeon that you claim is "THE best PS in gyne"?  That is a very high price to me and yes, I agree a surgeon should show some empathy but then again, who wouldn't agree with that.  Can you possibly post pics as well so that we can see how "bad" you are?

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I don't know your surgeon , but after it's over what are you going to look at as more important... The surgeon's personality or the job he/she did?  I know what it's like from personal experience to see a doctor who's the best in the field, but with a horrible personality.   It's not pleasant, but when it's all said and done the results may be worth dealing with a dull personality.  That being said, the money is a different story.  There are many qualified surgeons who charge much less than 8 grand.  I'm getting my surgery for $3875.  You may want to shop around before committing to 8 g's  if you're not sold on the surgeon.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Spleen

$8K sounds like an awful lot.  Hey if you got it and want to spend it go ahead, but you might be served by shopping around a bit.  

As for bedside manner, while it's nice to have in a surgeon it's not exactly a requirement.  

Offline GyneWithTheWind

• Posting Member
hmm well you are all right i suppose...but the main issue concerning his personality is that>>he didnt come off as being that 'amazing PS' that he is known to be.  He really did treat me like another #(Gyne Patient number 97342).  And i dont want some doctor to cut me open and throw me out.  He did not impress me at all....but ive heard more reassuring results w/ him.....we shall see

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
Hey doctors are human that day might have been a bad day for him... might not have had his caffine intake, time of the month etc.

Taking all that into account before I parted with eight grand and people were telling me I don't even have it I would at the very least get a few other opinions as to my chestpreferably from a GP (not motivated by his wallet in recommending surgery) or another PS.

Offline flex1appeal

2 things from me. First, I agree that at the end of the day it's how the job was done. That is what you are paying for. You aren't paying for empathy. Second, if he bothers you so much then go to someone else. I am sure there are many others out there who do have a personality and will spend their time reassuring you things will be ok. But no one will guarantee that to you. Cause there is no guarantee.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024