Author Topic: How do you know if you'll "grow out of it''  (Read 2475 times)

Offline turnitdown

EXTREMELY long time lurker, first time poster.  I just gotta say that it's so nice to find a board where people are going through the same thing as you...you feel like you're all alone when you see no one else suffering through the same issue as you, but after reading this board it gives me a bit of comfort knowing that you aren't the only one.  

My question:  After scanning through some of the many posts here, I've seen some posts that say "you'll grow out of it", no need for surgery etc. etc.

But at what point do you know that you will or will not grow out of it?  I'm 20 right now, and while my gyne is pretty minor (relatively speaking), it is still pretty noticable.  I should say that at one point I weighed about 185lbs and my "man boobs" were much more noticable compared to today (where I only weigh 135lbs).  

I thought that after losing a pretty significant amount of weight they'd go away, but clearly that wasn't the case.  I was about 16 when I weighed 185lbs and it took me about 2-3 years to get down to 135lbs (when I was 18-19).  A year later, however, they're still there.  

Should I wait a few more years before seriously considering further action (i.e. surgery), or has the "you'll grow out of it" phase passed?  

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 08:36:09 AM by turnitdown »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
turnitdown....

If your gyne were to go away on its own, it prolly would have done so by now.

You're prolly looking at a surgical solution now as you say you've dropped your weight down to 135 pound and still have signs of gyne.

Have you posted any pics?

John.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 08:57:19 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
unless you've recently started taking medication (depression, acid reflux, prostate) ect... and that's what caused it, it's probably here to stay.

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
Dropped down to 135? Jesus christ man. Listen, thats not a weight you wanna be at. It doesnt look good nor does it look healthy. Get back up about 160 atleast (IMO) start lifting weights, and ultimately get hte operation.
Had surgery with Dr. J.C. Fielding on August 2nd.

Offline YOURESORAD

• Posting Member
Dropped down to 135? Jesus christ man. Listen, thats not a weight you wanna be at. It doesnt look good nor does it look healthy. Get back up about 160 atleast (IMO) start lifting weights, and ultimately get hte operation.

I'm at 121 lbs.... but my chest is bigger than the rest of my body
:'(

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
At the age of 20, You are pretty much stuck with whatever you have. This would not necessarily be true if you had some indication that you were not yet fully through puberty.

Grandpa Dan

Offline turnitdown

Well I should clarify that I have a pretty small frame so 135lbs seems to suit me a lot better than 185lbs ever did.  I also hit the gym and stuff when I can, but I'm looking more to stay toned rather than bulk up or anything like that (so far, so good on that front).

Anyways thanks to everyone for the replies...it was just a nagging question in my head so at least that clears things up for sure.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024