Author Topic: Advice for gyno sufferers going through puberty  (Read 3131 times)

Offline oyelad

• Posting Member
If you're going through puberty and are overweight, the best advice anyone can give you is to lose weight. Obese people generally have higher levels of estrogen, and estrogen is one of the potential causes of gyno. I have a cousin who developed gyno at the age of 13, and, knowing that obesity generally means more estrogen, told him that losing weight could possibly make it go away. Two years later, fed up with man boobs, he finally decided to lose weight. Over the course of six or so months he lost around 35 pounds and his gyno completely dissapeared. Seeing as we are related, the same could have been the case for me if I hadn't spent my pubescent years overweight.

Not saying that this would be the case for everyone, but if you're currently going through puberty and are overweight, drop the pounds and give yourself a better chance at it going away.

DrBermant

If you're going through puberty and are overweight, the best advice anyone can give you is to lose weight. Obese people generally have higher levels of estrogen, and estrogen is one of the potential causes of gyno. I have a cousin who developed gyno at the age of 13, and, knowing that obesity generally means more estrogen, told him that losing weight could possibly make it go away. Two years later, fed up with man boobs, he finally decided to lose weight. Over the course of six or so months he lost around 35 pounds and his gyno completely dissapeared. Seeing as we are related, the same could have been the case for me if I hadn't spent my pubescent years overweight.

Not saying that this would be the case for everyone, but if you're currently going through puberty and are overweight, drop the pounds and give yourself a better chance at it going away.

Losing Weight can make a big impact on the fat and sometimes the skin.  Gland is not reduced with weight loss.  In addition, you cannot pick where the fat will come from with weight loss.

Wearing the extra fat is not healthy.  Check out your risks with a BMI Calculator (Body Mass Index)

As the skin envelope is no longer filled with fat, Drooping Breasts or Ptosis can happen.  Skin can tighten over time, often several months.  After Massive Weight Loss the skin sometimes just does not tighten enough.  Building muscle is one way of filling a loose skin evelope of the male chest.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to distinguish just what is causing the problem.  Gynecomastia male breasts can be fat, gland, or most commonly a combination of both.  Sometimes skin and sagging tissues can be a factor.  Pseudo Gynecomastia is supposed to be fat only gynecomastia.  The problem with that "classification" is that in almost every case of gynecomastia I have seen there is some component of gland.  This gland can be very small, but it is present almost all the time.  So do you have Pseudo gynecomastia when there is a 1%, 10%, 50%, or 90% deformity from fat?  Reality just does not work that way.

Defining the problem with photographs sometimes can help.  However, it is impossible to tell from photographs if the deformity is from fat or gland. The dynamic images, of my standard set of images can show a region that compresses differently.  Even clinical examination differentiation can be difficult.

Fat tends to be soft, gland tends to be firm.  Fingers of gland often dissect between fingers of fat.  Look at this drawing and move your mouse over the arrows.  However, gland can be soft and fat firm confusing the picture.  Gland tends to be located under the nipple and pinching pressure can sometimes tether to the nipple pulling it in.

Men with excessive fat do tend to have certain contour issues.  Check out this link about Sumo Wrestlers.  Men tend to carry excessive weight in their chest and stomach.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline quickhelpplz

• Posting Member
I'm skinny and i have it.

not to be mean or anything but it's like expected for overweight people to have it. so it's way easier to deal with it

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
it's expected for overweight people to have it. so it's way easier to deal with it.

That's 'one' of the reasons why Gyne guys are obese. I droped my weight down to 148 lbs from 230 lbs (@ 6') in 1990 in an attempt to rid myself of the m(o)(o)bs. They were a tad smaller but the majority remained :-/. In my opinion, m(o)(o)bs on a skinny guy looks downright odd. So... the weight crept back on. Gyne is easier to camouflage when you are obese....  ;)

It's a misconception by most of society that having m(o)(o)bs is a result of being overweight. And... that the guy who has'em, just needs to eat less and go to the gym. This is just not the case.

John.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 08:49:51 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Good advice Oyelad.

Losing the weight is so beneficial for many reasons.

Who's to say this guy lost the gyne because of the weight loss and not because it simply went away, as most do at that age.

I'm curious, does this guy also think it went away. Does he think he still has it?

Whether a guy has it or not is so subjective and largly depends on how that individual sees himself.  

Offline oyelad

• Posting Member
Going to bring this thread up again to clarify some stuff that I should have said in my initial post.

My cousin had the tale-tale case of gyno... the puffy nips and the protruding, cone-shaped breasts that I have. NOT the fatty chest that some people misdiagnose as gyno. I know what gyno is and he had it; I'm absolutely positive of that. I really wish I could show you before and after pics of this kid, but alas, I don't have the proof that damns these "This is the cure... it worked for me" threads.

Something else that I should have noted was that his brother, who is completely devoid of gyno, has been thin throughout his teenager years. They are both of similar build and appearance so to rule out significant genetic difference between the two. They both look like their father (my father's brother).

Recently I was looking at a photo album of my dad, who also has gyno, and noticed he too was overweight during his teens. My dad also has 6 siblings, four of which are brothers, so I thought I'd see if the same was the case with them as with my cousins. Two of those four brothers have noticeable gyno, and the other two either have unnoticeable or non-existant gyno. Of the two that had it, one was obese and the other average. Of the two that didn't have it, one was average and the other thin. Funny thing is that the gyno-free brother is the father of my mentioned cousins. Goes to show that the gyno-free brother most likely didn't avoid the cursed genes, but grew up in conditions that didn't allow an otherwise dormant trait to become active.

I'm almost positive that there is a correlation between gyne and obesity in teenage years and its carrying-over into adulthood... or at least for my genepool.

And to answer your question jc71, he still retains the now unneccessary hunching strategy from his gyne-days, but otherwise he probably just thinks of it as a bad time in his life (haven't really talked to him about it since I gave him that advice... was hard and embarassing enough as it was ;)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024