Author Topic: DOES THIS 65ish GPdoc Knows...  (Read 5895 times)

Offline I-Hate-Gyno

• Bronze Member
  • I am getting PEC's one day
What's up fellows?

Here is the deal. About a week ago, I went to a general practice doctor who looks like retirement should be knocking at his door any day now or should've a long time ago. Anywho, he exam me and sent me to get some blood work and skull scan done. His reasons for the skull x-ray is so that he can see my sella turcica(pituitary gland) which regulates HORMONES in the body like test, breast etc.. Well, I went back today and he said my sella turcica was mildly enlarged :'(. Therefore, he needs me to go back to get a MRI done so that he can get a closer look at my sella.... . Have anyone went though this process before with a doctor? The only reason why I am sticking with him is because he keep assuring me with my sella... abnormality the insurane company will cover the cost of the surgery :o. In addition, he is not the one who is going to be doing the cutting.  What do your'll think?  ???
$1000 saved
$4500 needed for "freedom!"(vaio mb.).

Offline vaio

• Gyne free, is the way to be!
Having an enlarged pituitatory gland is not good :o
$2,800 = Freedom!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/album?.dir=7e36&.src=ph&am p;store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/my_photos

Offline hypo

Do not listen to that muppet!!!!!

Most pituitary problems are treatable and not serious.

I think you probably had an MRI or a computerized tomography scan as opposed to an actual X-ray.

Hormone problems resulting from pituitary conditions often require medication to replace the messenger hormones that stem from the pituitary.

In some of the poorer cases surgery may be required.

It is worth remembering that the pituitary is not classed as brain surgery- it has a stem that is attached but separate from the brain and surgery is VERY rarely life threatening.

Such surgery involves access via the nose cavity.

For most people this doesn't happen- just drug treatment.

This is layman’s knowledge and may be shown to be out of date by the link below.

At this site you will find support from professionals and all the help you require

http://www.pituitary.org.uk/resources/pit-gland.htm

Offline I-Hate-Gyno

• Bronze Member
Vaio.

know you are scaring me. Why? Do you know? The nurse said it was a mild case of it, and not to worry at all. Sh*t I know she ain't no brian Doc., but she seem very trustful. I hope. :-/. Do you know thing she's isn't spilling.

Offline I-Hate-Gyno

• Bronze Member
Oh. Thanks hypo just missed your post must have been type vaio. ;) That sounds like music to my ears.

Offline I-Hate-Gyno

• Bronze Member
Does this mean my gyno can get bigger as result?

Offline hypo

It means your that your being investigated and you'll get a diagnosis as to your problems.

If treatment is required you'll receive it.

Gynecomastia might get worse if you do have a pituitary problem in the short term but any increase would most likely be reduced by medication if that is the case.

Please do not worry.

It sounds like you are in good hands and matters are proceeding as they should.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I hate gyno - yeah, the pituitary gland is located at teh base of your brain, behind your nose and between your ears.

Probably your enlarged pituitary gland is overproducing prolactin? One of the symptoms of excess prolactin in the blood is the two enlarged friends you have on your chest.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 05:28:36 AM by jc71 »

Offline hypo

I commend you on your knowledge jc71, but I think stating that prolactin is the cause is jumping the gun.

It might be, but it might not be.

There are a host of issues relating to the pituitary that can result in gynecomastia.

E.g

If the pituitary decreases output of Luteinising Hormone (LH) then the testicles will produce less testosterone and the endocrine balance will shift in favor of estrogens and this can result in gynecomastia.

I think anything at this stage is just conjecture.

I-Hate-gyno is in the process of investigations and I'm sure we all hope that these investigations reveal the aetiology of his gynecomastia and allow him to get any required treatment.

I-Hate-gyno, please keep us informed.

As I said it sounds as though you are in good hands.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 05:44:07 AM by hypo »

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I hate gyno - He's right, it was just a thought. Don't know if it's accurate or not. Just stating a possibility.

Probably best to wait and see what your docs say. Keep us in the know.  :)

Offline I-Hate-Gyno

• Bronze Member
Will do. I will have my MRI on tuesday.

PS. two words{ SH*TTING BRICKS.} ;D

Offline hypo

The MRI is painless.  It can be a little claustrophobic and noisy but that is it.

I should imagine it will take between 15 and 30 minutes and your results might not be available on the day, but will be sent to your consultant if this is the case.

Please remember that if you do have a pituitary issue most of the time it is just medication that is required and these things are rarely a threat to your continued good health.

If you do have a pituitary problem I will put you in touch with people who have also been through the mill with this who might be able to lend you and ear and offer support.

P.S

Good luck with Tuesday and do let us how you get on.

Offline bennyha

• Posting Member
If he did have some kind of pituitary problem how long do you have to be on medication before you can get some kind of surgery done?? I am aware that it could be a number of different things wrong or nothing at all but on the average how long do you have to be on treatment? And what if they say nothing is wrong with the pituitary gland then what steps are taken after that? Sorry for all the questions I am always just trying to learn more and understand more about this subject each and every day.

Offline hypo

Hi Benny,

First of all I think it is important to clarify that you mean surgery of the breast- you could scare I-Hate-gyno witless if that one isn't cleared up.

I am not aware as to any reason why a pituitary problem would necessarily have an impact upon the date of breast surgery.

Obviously it would depend upon the nature of the mans problem- so this is by no means a blanket statement.

The one issue that 'may' concern an endocrinologist would be if the individual required messenger hormone medication or basic TRT.

If the individual concerned has been suffering in any way from pituitary insufficiency related hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and is to have replacement medication then a 'waiting and watching' phase may be something that the endocrinologist would wish to put in place.

The reason behind this is that a change in hormonal status may resolve the gynecomastia and remove the need for a surgical procedure or it may increase the gynecomastia.

In the second scenario the medication may need to be altered to restore a healthy endocrine balance.

So prudence in such cases may mean waiting 3 to 6 months before proceeding with surgery of the breast.

Different endocrinologists will have their own ideas and feeling as to what should be done.

I must say this is only my take on the matter- for a clearer picture you may wish to put this question to someone from the pituitary organization.

http://www.pituitary.org.uk/resources/pit-gland.htm

P.S

Your endocrinologist didn’t seem phased by your prolactin level and hasn’t sent you for an MRI and your messenger hormones appear well and good so it doesn’t seem as though this is an issue for you bennyha.

Although of course that is one for your endocrinologist.

Offline I-Hate-Gyno

• Bronze Member
        Dam, I was hoping to use this pituitary gland abnormality to show the insurance company that I am not normal. In return, this will increase my chances for them to cover the cost. What you think?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024