Author Topic: how common is gyne?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline norfar1

• Posting Member
how many people get it? for how many does it become permanent?

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
According to a brochure i got from my PS, it affects btwn 40-60% of men at some point. I don't know if by "affects" it means that they have it and for some it goes away, or if they are only referring to the men who get it and can't lose it. my guess is the former.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I have no idea.

All I know is before I had surgery, I didn't see it on anyone.

After my surgery, I seem to see it everywhere.

I guess it's all perception.

Ever heard of your Reticular Activation System?

Maybe that's it.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It is so common that there are many who consider the condition to be statistically normal.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
It is so common that there are many who consider the condition to be statistically normal.

Yes, especially the insurance companies.  That way they can rationalize not paying for the surgery.  ::)
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
I always quote that around 60% of the male population has some degree of breast tissue.  But that does not mean that those same men all have gynaecomastia or a 'breast-like' chest.

It's a very subjective definition.  There are some guys that obviously have significant breast tissue and could be defined as having gynaecomastia, but for them it does not pose any kind of problem and they many not even be aware of the constitution of their own 'breasts'.

For other guys, there can be just a little or even no breast tissue, but they can convince themselves that they have the condition and will seek surgery or other remedies to 'rectify' something that probably does not need correction.

The real pathology with gynaecomastia in my opinion is what is going on inside the head, above and beyond what is going on on the chest.  But where treatment such as surgery is indicated and performed it can have a massive impact on the quality of life for those that have treatment - as it did me.  The benefits of my surgery has by far been the psychological aspect, not the physical.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024