Author Topic: Great now Im sick  (Read 3233 times)

Offline nonini

• Silver Member
I have developed a dry cough I think Im screwed
My pre- admission is tommorow and surgery is on monday

Offline Seal

• Bronze Member
  • Surgery in August 05
Brush and floss your teeth really good then rinse your mouth out with water several times. After that rinse with alcohol mouthwash and gargle it in the back of your throat really well. Wait about five minutes then rinse your mouth out really well with water at least five times.

In the shower is the best place to do this.

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
just try some throat lozenges and some hot tea with honey. honey is the best. i had a dry cough the day before and of my surgery and i told the anasthesiologist and she said it wouldn't be a problem. so don't stress out about it. everything went great for me. :) good luck and congrats in advance!  ;D

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
I couldn't possible say what your dry cough is but I also developed one about 1 week before my surgery.  However I know my body well enough to suspect it was purely an anxious response to the impending surgery.  I mentioned this to the surgeon in advance and was told they would check me out on the day itself, but as long as my chest was clear they should be able to go ahead.  On the day I was fine and the cough hasn't come back so in my case I'm sure it was purely a touch of anxiety.

Good luck on your big day.
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
same as what he said, lol. i think my cough was anxiety-provoked. after the surgery i haven't had this cough. so don't stress out!!!!! best wishes!  :D

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
same as what he said, lol. i think my cough was anxiety-provoked. after the surgery i haven't had this cough. so don't stress out!!!!! best wishes!  :D

Same thing happened to me.  
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline nonini

• Silver Member
Dont know about nerves, now its a wet cough and my lungs are feeling tight and heavy :(, lets hope its gone by monday.

Offline Mr_Nip

Dude, if I were you I would go out and get some Zicam and use the maximum dose every day until the day of surgery.  I absolutely swear by that stuff.  It will stop a cold from getting worse and get you better fast.  

Offline saucy

• Posting Member
COLD FX

trust me...

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
I rarely offer advice guys as I am not qualified to but I will say this .....

Be very careful of taking ANY cold remedies prior to surgery because if they contain aspirin it greatly increases the likelyhood that you will bleed badly during and after surgery.  I was warned by my surgeon to steer clear of ALL products containing aspirin and garlic for at least 1 WEEK prior to surgery.

If you are concerned about any cough etc, I would suggest you talk to your surgeon BEFORE taking any medicine.  It would be awful if you turn up on the day of your surgery and they have to send you home because they aren't prepered to operate on you.  Worse still if they do operate in ignorance of any medication that you may have taken and something awful happens when you bleed badly.  It's not worth the risk guys!

Good luck

Offline Mr_Nip

I rarely offer advice guys as I am not qualified to but I will say this .....

Be very careful of taking ANY cold remedies prior to surgery because if they contain aspirin it greatly increases the likelyhood that you will bleed badly during and after surgery.  I was warned by my surgeon to steer clear of ALL products containing aspirin and garlic for at least 1 WEEK prior to surgery.

If you are concerned about any cough etc, I would suggest you talk to your surgeon BEFORE taking any medicine.  It would be awful if you turn up on the day of your surgery and they have to send you home because they aren't prepered to operate on you.  Worse still if they do operate in ignorance of any medication that you may have taken and something awful happens when you bleed badly.  It's not worth the risk guys!

Good luck

Agreed.  

Your surgeon should have given you a list of meds to avoid.  Check anything you take to make sure it doesn't contain any of those substances.  

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
well my doc told me i could take tylenol cold/sinus medicine with no problem. so if u want to use that, it's already been approved by my doc, lol.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Prior to any 'big' event I seem to get sick.

Maybe it's just nerves. I don't know. Prior to my surgery seemed to develop a sore throat and a runny nose.

I can go on and on listing important dates in my past and the illness I developed the day before.

Weird.

Offline nonini

• Silver Member
well that was simple! just filled out a few forms that was it. and there was a bus driver strike so i had to walk home that sucked

-Plus I forgot, now its lipo + excision. At my first consult he said he would do excison of everything gland and fat.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:41:04 PM by nonini »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024