Author Topic: Gyno/low testosterone -- some questions  (Read 2565 times)

Offline jrb21398

Hello all - first post here. I could use some knowledgeable insight for my situation.

I have read a bit about gynecomastia off and on for the last couple of years, considering the surgery, convincing myself that it was just fat and I need to work harder at the gym, etc.

Well, at the beginning of this year I made a resolution (that I have actually kept - who knew?) to go to the gym 4 times a week at the least. This however is only up from ~3/wk in the past - I am a fairly active guy.

Well, while not loosing any weight in pounds, I have been somewhat successful in putting on some muscle and getting rid of that fat. The only catch - my chest is still a mess (surprised?) - and I decide that it is time to see an endocrinologist (ass suggested by this site) as the first step towards surgery. I call my physician for a recommendation/referral. "Oh, and by the way, remember those blood tests you did a year ago? Nothing showed up, right?"

Yeah, so on something unrelated I went to the doctor a year ago and he had some blood work done. He never called me back with the results and so I figured everything was fine. I was wrong.

Last night he apologized to me profusely and informed me that the lab results showed a low testosterone level. Mostly he didn't have many answers for me. He asked if my energy level was low (No - but who wouldn't mind having more energy?) or if I had an absent sex drive (No - if anyone, I am the overactive one in the relationship.). He suggested that this might be responsible for my breast development. This topic has been one we have never more than glanced across (shame factor). So he was confused and is of course sending me on to the endocrinologist.

So I guess I am asking "What does this mean?" Most of what I have read about gyno attributes it to temporary hormonal fluctuations which should have evened out by now (I am 23), or just dumb luck (not hormone related).  I realize that either way this road still leads to surgery, but:
1) What kind of other problems can this low testosterone thing cause?
2) Would this make insurance more likely to help out on the PS?
3) How should I feel about my doctor and his 1 yr. memory lapse? (In general he has been really considerate and empathetic about all of this.)
4) What kind of solution might the endocrinologist recommend? Would drugs be expensive (I have quazi-lame insurance)?

I suppose the most frustrating thing about all of this is that I have spent the bulk of my life struggling (with varying levels of success) with rather severe body issues. I spent the bulk of last night up wondering how things might have turned out if I had not been so ashamed and had the courage to talk to my doctor years ago; or if I could have just found a way to realize that I am not a fat person and that there is more than an externally imposed characteristic of "lazy" going on.

Thank for listening to what sort of became a long rant. I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you all.

Offline hypo

jrb21398,

If you are in the US It is important to see an endocrinologist who is recognised by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) and one who specializes in reproductive issues.

If you tell me where you live- I'll be able to give you the contact details for a good endocrinologists.

This is something that is vital and however well meaning your gp is something I can sort out for you properly.

I myself have low testosterone, the condition is called hypogonadism.

Check this link out from this site.  It contains a lot of info I put together and has helpful links.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1085955938

PM me with any questions you may have.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024