Author Topic: Doc said I am not allowed to lift weights until 3 months post OP???  (Read 2610 times)

Offline roflcopter

• Posting Member
Never heard this for anyone else, all I read about was 4-6 weeks later you can. I trained for 13 months before my surgery and built up a lot of muscle, it is pretty depressing that even 6 weeks post OP, I have to weight another 6 weeks. The muscle loss is already significant I cant imagine twice that much. Has anyone else ever heard of having to wait this long? Maybe I can start a little early with small weights and slowly move up? This seems like way too long.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Yeah, 3 months seems a tad long.

My doc said 3 weeks...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline flex1appeal

No one knows your body better than you. 3 months is not necessary. He probably just wants you to lay low to prevent any additional swelling or unforeseen trauma that could be caused from lifting. Not that lifting would cause anything like that to occur but it is possible. I do know that lifting 3 weeks post op or close to it can prolong the swelling. But hey, if you think you are up to it, just do it and don't tell him. I know hearing a doctor telling you not to lift for 3 months kinda paralyzes you into not lifting out of fear something may happen. But like I said, you know your own body best. If you feel up to it, start out light and see how it feels. Go from there. I'd say you are the first gyne case I've heard say a doctor told you longer than 3-4 weeks before lifting is ok. Shit, I wore my vest this time around for only 4 weeks instead of the 6 weeks my doctor recommended. I felt as though the vest had served it's purpose as far as it could and since I removed it, I have seen more healing. So I was fine. The first surgery I had I followed instructions to a T for fear something bad would happen if I didn't listen to the doctor. This time I listen to my body.

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
That seems excessive.  I'd say wait a month post-op to start training again, then just do light weights for a month so that you don't rip any of the new tissue in your chest.
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline roflcopter

• Posting Member
Also he said not even to work my abs. I have anyways and nothing bad has happened. I still don't think I am ready to lift though, maybe another week or so I will start lightly but I am not waiting 6 more.

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
I'd guess that working your abs puts a lot of stress on the new tissue around your upper torso.  Just take it easy for a little while.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024