Author Topic: Countdown to surgery!  (Read 3056 times)

Offline bamagyno

• Bronze Member
  • my lovely lady lumps... ARE GONE!
Hey guys!

I haven't posted in well over a year (prolly closer to two) but I had to share... I am scheduled for surgery Monday, Feb. 5 and the insurance is paying 100%! I had been turned down the first two times but this time I went to an endecrinologist and had a physical examination of the breasts, blood drawn for "gynecomastic workup", a mammogram, and a complete history and physical from my regular doctor.

The procedure that my surgeon (Dr. Michael Beckenstein, http://www.msbmd.com/becken.asp ) is doing is "bilateral mastectomy for gynecomastia" - CPT Code 19140.

I will post before/after pics after the surgery and updates on results and recovery.

If any of you have not watched Charles huang's video (No Longer TABOO...) at the top of the discussion board I highly recommend it!

I hope the info at the top helps with any insurance issues y'all may have.

have a goodn'
Stu
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 12:22:24 AM by bamagyno »
"I don't want to die without any scars..." Brad Pitt (Fight Club)

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
high five at you.  check back when it's done. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline puff916

• Posting Member
how did you get insurance to cover it?  What did you say?

Offline bamagyno

• Bronze Member
how did you get insurance to cover it?  What did you say?

First of all, sorry for the delayed response. guess it was jumping thru all the right hoops (this is my 3rd go-round with the insurance) that did the trick. The first coupla times I didn't see an endocrinologist or have a mammogram, etc. I guess it didn't hurt that I prayed my butt (errr...breast's ;)) off either.

mastectomy ? is that lipo /excision, or will the dr take out more ? i've only heard of mastectomy done on female's with breast cancer, not on males.  on these females, the dr takes out the whole chest tissue including lymph nodes / fat / gland / mammary gland and yes, these women are flat as a "board".  hmm interesting .  goodluck and early congrats keep us posted .....

yeah... I was concerned about the term "mastectomy" as you can no doubt imagine! I guess he used that word because my boobs are pretty large (B-C cup per one doc) and he will remove a considerable amount of tissue and skin and will have to reposition my nipples. I am told there is a 50/50 chance I will lose sensitivity in my nipples  :'( but if I will be rid of the hooters it will be worth it.

monday (feb. 5th) is the surgery - I had my markings done yesterday!! I am so excited I can't stand it! i will post before pics next week. and progressive after pics for the first month or so. I don't post often but I check these boards periodically and want you guys to know that it is amazing how much your stories and comments have encouraged me and enabled me do something about a condition that (at least partially) had socially and psychologically crippled me for so long.

btw... I had to take time off after the surgery so I told my employers that I was having surgery to remove a non-malignant mass from my chest. I explained that I am fine but did not want to share details with my co-workers and requested that they be discreet as I had told my co-workers that i was just taking a short vacation to catch up on personal chores/obligations... I'm pretty sure when I get back everyone will ask how my surgery went - lol ;) When I told my parents, dad assumed it was from medicine since he is currently sporting some pretty hefty mammories due to some medication he is on. My sister (who dad told before I could) laughed her head off and said she would buy me a support bra so I wouldn't have to "go under the knife".

Maybe it's because NMMB Day (no-more-man-boobs) is just ahead or maybe because I've already shared with a few family members (my wife is an angel and my son is a rock... who rocks) but I am so much less anxious about peoples questions/reactions to my surgery than I was just three weeks ago... still wearing my underworks everyday though ;)

more later...
Stu

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
Hey dude.  I had the same surgery done a month ago.  I'm really happy with the results.  I had a pretty bad case too.  I do have feeling in my nipples, but it is considerably less.  When it gets cold, they still get hard.  I was actually surprised by that.  And they basically look the same ( a little smaller however, but that was a good thing in my case).  I have two scars on my chest, but my doctor said that they will begin to fade quite a bit after a year.  if you have any questions let me know.  Like I said, it's worked out for me pretty good.  Good luck with you!

Offline bamagyno

• Bronze Member
Thanks gabbyhey! that is encouraging. I have been concerned about the loss of feeling in the nipples and the scarring issue. Did you have to have any follow-up surgery? Did you notice a difference right away or was there swelling for a long time? Do you have pics posted? What was your insurance situation... I ask because so many guys have a hard time getting insurance to cover... maybe if we get a concensus of what the insurance will approve maybe it will help some folks here.

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
First of all, I didn't have any insurance anyway.  Next, I don't think it would have covered it.  I ended up paying 4000 dollars.  The results were pretty immediate.  Right after the surgery I had a nice contoured chest.  (Do largely in part to the fact that I used to do 50 push ups a day).  There was a little swelling on the sides where the drains went in, kinda like under the armpit.  No follow up surgery though.  My nipples look pretty good.  One is slightly larger than the other, but not really noticeable.  I never expected perfection, but I didn't expect it to turn out as good as it did.  It's been a month, and I have had hardly any swelling.  It was pretty painful for the first 3 or 4 days.  Now, I have no pain at all.  The doctor told me after 3 weeks i can resume any type of work out or exercise.  Any other questions?  I'm trying to get a hold of the surgeons office to get my "before" pictures.  Hopefully.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024