Author Topic: If anybody was listening to Xfm last week..  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Daniel_uk987

• Posting Member
i was tuning into the radio when i was at work, listening to xfm..not sure what presenter either..but they had some big discussion about ''moobs'' people texting in if its hot or not etc!
and obviously you could imagine how that made any gyne sufferers that were listening at the time feel.
And there was just loads of little jokes about it, all really light hearted stuff!
But what i want to know is..
is gyne publicity a good thing? do we really need to raise awareness?
I actually personally feel..if everyone knew it was caled gynecomastia it would be even more shameful in public..
Its weird cos its a condition people suffer from and often hide themselves away from people, and avoid revealing yourself... so how do we as men with ''moobs'' want the public to see us as, do we hide the situation away like you would with a big baggy shirt?
I guess u see where im gettin at!

Offline primeuser

It is a nightmare. Over the last few weeks, it has been everywhere from the radio to the nationals like the Sun newspaper. Sadly most people dont realise how it can affect us to such extremes. It is simply not funny. It has ruined my life thats for sure - nothing funny about that.

Offline Daniel_uk987

• Posting Member
i know what you mean, just in time for summer right :( thats all we need..
But never say your life is ruined, theres still always hope, it may take time but this is just what you have to live with.
i would rather people knew the impact it had on peoples lives, rather than just saying theres a heap loads of men with gyne!
Maybe its a good thing, and that it wont be so taboo anymore!   i dont know!

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
it's a dilemma.  a show like that is cheap sensationalism at our expense. 

intelligent discussion of it is a dilemma.  it's good because it educates us and gives us a chance at fixing it instead of retreating in quiet ignorant despair.  but even though i wish i had known what it was when i got it, i probably would have died to watch a program about it, since i didn't exactly have the most supportive family.  and even if i hadn't raised it with them, i could have dealt with it a lot earlier and saved myself a world of hurt  :'(
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
But even though i wish i had known what it was when i got it, i probably would have died to watch a program about it, since i didn't exactly have the most supportive family.  and even if i hadn't raised it with them, i could have dealt with it a lot earlier and saved myself a world of hurt  :'(

I hear ya dude...  same here. I know your pain my man.   :'(

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
I really wish someone would have informed me of what was happening.  I remember thinking that I was the only person in the world like this and what a freak I was.  Little did I know that it was called "gynecomastia" and there were other men going through the same problem.  It was 10 years before I found out what it was.  If I could have those years back...  I think a good step for this would be that it was an accepted and RECOGNIZED condition in the mainstream medical world.  If my general practitioner had told me when he saw it was happening, I would have been informed.  It's so taboo that even the doctor that delivered you won't even bring it up when he or she sees it happening. 

Offline SOAD

• Posting Member
I'm sick of ignorant people telling people with gyne they need to workout or go the gym. People that do NO exercise themself.
19 Years old, unilateral gyne in left chest

Offline Grandpa Bambu

If my general practitioner had told me when he saw it was happening, I would have been informed.  It's so taboo that even the doctor that delivered you won't even bring it up when he or she sees it happening. 

Same here dude. Not one single GP that I saw in the past mentioned it >:(. It may be because it's a common condition, however, GP's should at least tell you what it is and advise you of your options. I'm glad however that that I found out that it was Gynecomastia when I did (Nov. 2004), as surgery techniques are much more refined than 20+ years ago.  ;)

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I'm sick of ignorant people telling people with gyne they need to workout or go the gym. People that do NO exercise themself.

Dude... there are many nasty/cruel people in the world that are beyond our control. Try ignore them.

GB

Offline bamagyno

• Bronze Member
  • my lovely lady lumps... ARE GONE!
Hey Grandpa Bambu... nice tat!... they look MUCH better on her ;)

If my general practitioner had told me when he saw it was happening, I would have been informed.  It's so taboo that even the doctor that delivered you won't even bring it up when he or she sees it happening. 

When I first brought up the issue of gyne with my gp it was like he was waiting for me to break the ice and bring it up. I think I will ask him after I have the surgery why he never brought it up with me. He's a great doc but I guess gyne is a tough topic for me. on the subject of gp's, while having an ekg in the office of my previous doc, the nurse left the room after I was shirtless on the table and returned in a few minutes to run the cardiogram. After another coupla minutes another nurse came to the door to "ask her about some paperwork" or some such. The entire time she was talking (probably less than a minute but felt like an eternity) she was staring at my chest. Maybe it was paranoia, but I was convinced (and still am) that she was spying on the freak that her buddy told her about.

not cool... and definately not professional!
"I don't want to die without any scars..." Brad Pitt (Fight Club)

Offline zink

• Bronze Member
I didn't hear that on xfm - I can't get it anymore where I live now...

I think publicity is good as it will mean more can be found out about it to help people like us. At the moment it seems like even doctors have no idea what's going on :(

Offline Daniel_uk987

• Posting Member
yeah i guess so, but imagine how that made any gyne suferer feel when they were at work..
i guess poeple dont recognise it at something serious and more as something to laugh at!
so i think the right sort of publicity is probably good!!

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
The entire time she was talking (probably less than a minute but felt like an eternity) she was staring at my chest. Maybe it was paranoia, but I was convinced (and still am) that she was spying on the freak that her buddy told her about.
i'd have called her on it right on the spot.  like in "sounds like your real reason is to check out the freak.  but i'll answer any questions you want to ask me anyway." 

i can be a cold man just sometimes  :D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024