Author Topic: Alcohol and reduction  (Read 1683 times)

Offline BHedges

I've had gyne since I was 14 or so (am late 20s now). Thing is from about 17 I drank and smoked (weed) a lot. I haven't smoked weed in a few years now but continue to drink (have been slowly cutting down the amount since I was 23/24 but still drink a lot). After reading a bit more about gyne I read about the link to alcohol, and so an considering cutting down my drinking a lot and have a couple of questions:

1) Does stopping alcohol cause some gynes to reduce/disappear? Does cutting down help or does it have to be a complete cessation? (last year I was drinking a bottle of wine or so 5 times a week)
2) If so, how long does it take? (I had a January detox but don't think I can see any change)

I was going to cut down this year anyway but am wondering if it should be to 2 nights a week, one beer a week or nothing.

Only found this board yesterday but am glad I did!

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
1. it might have earlier in the game, now it's more like something that would let it come back if you got rid of it.  i'll leave the mechanisms to your ps or hypo. 
2.  am not an md, but the impact is a hormonal one, and your organs have to recover, so i'd assume weeks for the worst of it and months for the rest. 
not to preach, but there's too much alcoholism in my family for me to do even light stuff. i've seen people who swear they're in control do a slow death spiral over 10-20 years to the point the docs finally said cold turkey or you die.  dialysis 3 times a week and a bunch of things, it's begun to lose all its old charm.  if you're at all thinking about quitting, might be better not to wait. 

congrats on finding the board, speaking of things better done sooner than later. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline BHedges

Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused though. Your reply to the first question says it probably won't reduce them but the second mentions time scales. Or were those just time scales for my hormonal level to recover (but the gynes will remain)?

Point noted on the drinking.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Moderation is key with anything.  There's nothing wrong with a 1 or 2 moderate glasses of wine a day.  That being said, if you already are questioning if you're drinking too much then you probably are. 

Try doing without the stuff for a week or two.  If you choose to drink again after that then limit yourself to one glass of red wine a day.  I believe in the health benefits of doing that, but you'll do more damage than good if you can't keep it in moderation. 
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Hypo-is-here

Here is a previous thread on the connection/subject of alcohol and gynecomastia;

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,8199.0.html

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024