Author Topic: Going to see endocrinologist... not sure what to ask  (Read 2546 times)

Offline VT

• Posting Member
So basically my doc told me to go see an endocrinologist about growth hormones... blah blah blah. Figured since I'll be there I might as well ask him about my gyne. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure what to say, or even what he could do considering the doc didn't recommend him to me because of gyne. I hope that makes some sense...

Offline VT

• Posting Member

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
exactly.  just opening the subject will also let him ask relevant questions from you as well.  i'd tell him how long you had it, ask how the prospects were of it going away (if your case is not real advanced), ask him if he thought things had leveled off enough for surgery, ask what if anything you could do not to make them go irregular (pot or whatever).  and then maybe ask about whatever if anything the doc sent you for  ;)
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Hypo-is-here

An endocrinologist should definitely perform blood pathology on a man who has gynecomastia along with a taking of their medical history and an examination in order to try and ascertain any underlying cause.

Typically a minimum pathology of the following would be expected;

LH
FSH
Testosterone free or serum/total
SHBG
Prolactin
Estradiol
TSH
HCG

Sometimes the following is taken;

DHT (particularly if propecia or antiandrogens has been used)
Free T3
Thyroid antibodies
Cortisol

Depending on anything found in the consultation or bloods an endocrinologist maybe directed to other tests as deemed neccessary.

Usually the pathology will be relatively straightforward.  Most people/the majority of people have gynecomastia because of a temporary pubertal imbalance of hormones and people are told that there is nothing to worry about.  In a minority of cases (a significant one mind) an underlying cause is found/diagnosed and sometimes this requires treatment, sometimes the gynecomastia is found to be caused by a side effect of drugs taken by the person (prescribed or otherwise).

People should request a copy of their pathology results so that they can look at them in their own good time and post them on support groups like this one in order to get an independent lay persons opinion as to the nature of their results.

Offline VT

• Posting Member
I'm only 16 though... will this make any difference?

Offline Hypo-is-here

If you are still going through puberty then interpretation of pathology might need to be more carefully considered, but apart from that everything else should be exactly the same.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024