Author Topic: SKIN NECROSIS(DYING)  (Read 7628 times)

Offline gyneman

• Gold Member
I had surgery about 13 days ago. I've heard of people losing their areolas from dying tissue. I do have black around the incision line, which I'm told is dying tissue. My PS said it's dried blood. How do you know if your skin is dying. When people say the skin discolors, which part of the skin and what color is it?HMMM I'm a smoker, so this has me worried. any thoughts

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
What kind of surgery did you have?  I had a masectomy with nipple graft and both my incision line was dark and the nipples were basically like dark like scabs.  It's been almost 2 months now and the blackness is gone.

Offline gyneman

• Gold Member
I had an areola reduction with a donut procedure where they remove skin; however, I did not have a nipple graft. Did it itch alot and did you feel like scratching it ;D ? I just get nervous that the tissue is coming apart and that blackness is scary!!

Offline Its Gone!

• Posting Member
I had surgery about 13 days ago. I've heard of people losing their areolas from dying tissue. I do have black around the incision line, which I'm told is dying tissue. My PS said it's dried blood. How do you know if your skin is dying. When people say the skin discolors, which part of the skin and what color is it?HMMM I'm a smoker, so this has me worried. any thoughts

Is the skin flat and very dark in colour? If so that's a very bad sign. If it's a little raised it could just be dried blood on the surface. But eitherway:

Stop smoking immediately. Take plenty of zinc and vitamin C. Very very gently exercise your chest frequently each day - just movement more than anything to get the blood flowing into the area. It's lack of blood flow that causes skin necrosis.

Hope like hell.

If you can't quit smoking then use nicotine replacement gums etc. If you can't do that, well I guess you prefer cigarettes to aerolas and nipples. Your choice. Hope your not overweight as well and eat an unhealthy diet, both of those too will decrease your chances of success.

Best of luck
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:15:10 PM by Its Gone! »

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member

Smoke pot if u have to, at least it wont killl ur ass

Ok, sorry but that's pretty bad advice.  I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes and pot.  And I'll tell you what, marijuana is absolutely no substitute for nicotine.  That's like telling a crack addict to replace crack with chocolate.  Not to mention that marijuana use is controversially linked to gynecomastia to begin with. 

Gyneman:
Just quit smoking dude, I did it.  Yes, the nipples were a little itchy when it was healing and it was flat and dark as charcoal.  I was freaked out and thought that my nipples were gone.  Then about a week or 2 later the scab just started to flake off and now 8 weeks after surgery my nipples look pretty normal. 

Offline gyneman

• Gold Member
I usually only have 1 or 2 smokes a day and drink about 8 glasses a day. I also go for a walk about an hour a day to get the blood flowing. Yes, the area is raised. The only area that is black is right around the incision line, no where else. Also, on the incision line it's wavy and bumpy/raised. I am 13 days post-op and still have on the steristrips. Last week , the PS took out my stitches and said everything is fine. Last night, I got a chill and usually my nipples get hard but they didn't; however, the incision line became raised, is this normal or a good sign?

Offline gyneman

• Gold Member
Well guys!! I called the PS and the nurse told me to take off the steristrips. I did and it wasn't as bad as I thought. When I pulled the steristrips, some scabbing and dried blood flaked off. I put peroxide on the incision site and it was all pink. Then put new steristrips on. I'm just paranoid!!  ;D

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
Yeah, its easy to be paranoid when it comes to this stuff.  Glad it all worked out.

Offline gyneman

• Gold Member
I still don't have pictures because I don't have a digital camera. As soon as the PS put's my before and after on his website, I will direct you guys... ;D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024