Author Topic: Scheduling an appointment with an endocrinologist  (Read 4219 times)

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
I am going to call in the morning to schedule an appointment at a local endocrinologist's office.  The office I chose is listed under the "Endocrinology, Reproductive" section.  Is this what I want?

Also, I'm not exactly sure what I am going to need to have checked.  Hopefully he's familiar with gynecomastia and the causes of it, but what should I ask specifically?  Hypo, if I could get your input I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline hypo

You want an endo as you have correctly pointed out who has an interest in reproductive issues.

It would be good if he/she was recommended by the AACE, given they are the body that produce the national guidelines that relate to these issues.

If you are unsure as to whether the person you have in mind is or is not AACE recommended; let me know where you live and I will list all those recommended in your area and you will know if this is the person to see.

Offline nukem2k5

I live in Covington, Louisiana.  It's near New Orleans but anything in the Covington or Mandeville area would be preferred.  I have the number to the office of Dr.'s Richard P. Dickey and Peter Y. Lu, both at The Fertility Institute of New Orleans (in Covington).

I'll appreciate having your suggestions, hypo.  BTW, what exactly am I asking to have checked?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 10:08:58 PM by nukem2k5 »

Offline nukem2k5

Ugh I wasn't sure about this but apparently their office is for women only.

Hypo, got any docs you could recommend me that specialize in reproductive endocrinology?

Offline hypo

Unfortunately I could not find an AACE recommended endocrinologist with an interest in reproductive issues in the areas you mentioned.  However there are a number in New Orleans-

Jayant Dey, MD, MBBS
Deptt. of Endocrinology, Ochsner Clinic
1514 Jefferson Hwy.
New Orleans, LA 70121
Directions to Office
Phone: 5048424023
Interest Areas:
   Diabetes Mellitus
   Thyroid Dysfunction
   Reproductive Endocrinology
   Lipid Disorders

Richard P. Dickey, MD, PhD, FACE
The Fertility Instutute of New Orleans
6020 Bullard Ave
New Orleans, LA 70128-2813
Directions to Office
Phone: (504) 246-8971
Interest Areas:

Rekha Kumari, MD
LSU Hlth Science Ctr. Dept of Medicine
1542 Tulane Ave, Box T4M-5
New Orleans, LA 70112-2865
Directions to Office
Phone: (504) 568-6446
Interest Areas:
   Diabetes Mellitus
   General Endocrinology and Metabolism

Kamran Rasul, MD
Lsuhsc Endocrinology
1542 Tulane Ave Ste A416-1
New Orleans, LA 70112-2865
Directions to Office
Phone: (504) 568-6446
Interest Areas:
   Adrenal Disorders
   Diabetes Mellitus
   Pituitary Disorders
   Thyroid Dysfunction

I hope that is of use

Offline nukem2k5

Yesterday I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Mark C. Lueg, M.D. in Mandeville.  He specializes in Endocrinology and Metabolism.  Am I wasting my money?

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Hopefully your hormones are fine so you can feel like you've wasted your money. Better safe than sorry. If for some reason you choose to go see an endocrinologist who does not list reproductive issues as an area of specialization or interest, make damn sure you know your stuff and know what to ask for.

Offline nukem2k5

If for some reason you choose to go see an endocrinologist who does not list reproductive issues as an area of specialization or interest, make damn sure you know your stuff and know what to ask for.

This is what I was questioning.  The doctor I'm scheduled to see lists Metabolism as his field of interest.  I guess I should probably just schedule to see one of the reproductive endos in New Orleans.  Thanks.

Offline nukem2k5

OK I just cancelled with Dr. Lueg.  I'm going to schedule with one of the AACE recommended ones from New Orleans.  Thanks, hypo.

Offline nukem2k5

I'm going to test my luck with Dr. Kumari.  I spoke with a nurse and she was aware of the condition so hopefully Dr. Kumari will know what she's talking about.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024