Author Topic: compression garment?  (Read 4239 times)

Offline am

• Posting Member
hi,

maybe its a stupid question :-) but i thought that i will still ask!

how important is it to wear compression garment after the surgery? and for how long should you wear it? i read about it a lot on the internet but when i asked my doctor about it, he said that its not required...he said that the skin will automatically taken new shape and that nothing is required...

i want to know because its really hot here and i am planning to go for surgery soon...so, if its not really required, i wouldn't want to wear it...

thanks,
am

Offline bobjohnson

• Posting Member
I never hear that a vest is not required... in fact as I understand it the vest helps both the results and healthy / quick healing. I am no expert but I would question the advice you've been given. I know it's uncomfortable to wear one (I am wearing one right now 2 days post op) but short term uncomfort will yield better long term results.

I hope this feedback helps and congrats on moving forward with the surgery!

Offline boobie

• Posting Member
I'm not wearing any, i'v got only bandages on my stitches, and thats all. My doc said that there is no need to put vest or anything else. When usually they r taking off stitches, in your case, coz they r taking off mine in a week from op?

DrBermant

hi,

maybe its a stupid question :-) but i thought that i will still ask!

how important is it to wear compression garment after the surgery? and for how long should you wear it? i read about it a lot on the internet but when i asked my doctor about it, he said that its not required...he said that the skin will automatically taken new shape and that nothing is required...

i want to know because its really hot here and i am planning to go for surgery soon...so, if its not really required, i wouldn't want to wear it...

thanks,
am

Compression garments can make a major difference in swelling, bruising, and comfort after surgery.  I typically usea compression vest after gynecomastia surgery for many reasons explained on that link.  Although we give each patient a prescription for Hydrocodone (Lortab), my patients typically tell me that plain Tylenol is enough to keep them comfortable after even major gynecomastia surgery.  Surgical technique is the most important factor, but I have found that a garment that fit myself before surgery can help a great deal.  Check out typical minimal bruising and swelling after my surgery here.

You can find many other examples of healing, swelling, and bruising after surgery with these techniques here.

I see many patients for revision surgery done by other doctors.  These patients also typically tell me that the garments are much more comfortable than bandages alone.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline am

• Posting Member
Thankyou Dr. Bermant and everyone else for their suggestions. I will check with my doctor again.

Best regards,
am

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
At the time of my surgery, my PS said that a compression vest/shirt was not necessary.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024