Author Topic: Massaging Scar tissue?!  (Read 866 times)

Offline max4xix

Hello, 
I'm 3 weeks post-op, i was wondering when would be the best time would be to start massaging scar tissue, if not now? I have slight scar tissue indentations right under both nipples and a small marble sized lump right on the chest. 

Also which is more beneficial to break them up? A theragun massage gun on a low setting and/or a roller/fingers to avoid further swelling/future complications?

My doctor scoffed it off saying i didn't really need it however its been building up in multiple areas and wanted to spearhead it before it became more apparent and wanted some further opinions?

Thank you!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Some firm swelling is totally normal after gyne surgery -- and it is not all scar tissue.  In fact, true scar tissue only begins to show, if at all, between 4 and 6 weeks or longer after surgery.  

I think it is much too early to consider massage.  And by the way, scar tissue doesn't cause an indentation under the nipples -- that may be due to too much tissue having been removed.  But it is still much too early in the healing process to decide about doing anything.

Relax and listen to your surgeon -- he has more experience than you do.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I do instruct my patients on massage that they start at 3 weeks after surgery. However, not all surgeons want their patients to massage. So you should definitely follow your own surgeon's instructions. It usually takes 3-4 months to see the final results. Good luck.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024