Author Topic: Post Op Swelling  (Read 1750 times)

Offline MarcMCFC1986

• Posting Member
Hi All

I had my gynaecomastia surgery in Manchester, England with Dr Bernard Sleiter at The Bridgewater Hospital last Wednesday.

Having taken some photos this morning I have noticed that the right side is clearly bigger than the left. I am hoping it is just swollen and will even out once the swelling has gone down, but I have poked and prodded it and it is really hard underneath. I thought swelling was supposed to be soft and feel like fluid under the skin - not hard.

I have my post op appointment on Saturday morning, but hoping somebody could settle my mind as I'm really worried that something has been missed?

Anybody had similar experience, or offer any medical opinion?

Offline Zenxer

• Bronze Member
  • Mm.. Donuts
This sounds exactly like scar tissue. It'll go away one of two ways:

With quite a bit of time(anywhere from a month to even up to a year),
or
your doctor will instruct you to massage the scar tissue, and it'll slowly break away.

Consult your doctor and see what he advises you to do.
My surgery was done on Oct 20th, 2014 by Dr. J. Craig Fielding in Toronto, Ontario.

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
Good that you have an appointment with your doctor this Saturday. I'm sure your surgeon is the one who can advise you the best, but from what I've been reading on this forum, it can take up to one year to see the final results. Be patient!

Good luck
---Bobby

Offline MarcMCFC1986

• Posting Member
Thanks for your replies.

Would an ice pack help, or is it too late for that now?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unilateral (one-sided) enlargement one week after surgery is not the norm and you should consult with your surgeon sooner rather than later.  I cannot be scar tissue -- much too early.  It may be just swelling but it could also be fluid (serum or blood) collection -- which can be quite firm to the touch.

Best to have it checked out with your surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024