Author Topic: Surgery timing for a college freshman...I appreciate your input!  (Read 4320 times)

Offline bduke

I am lucky enough to have received insurance coverage for my surgery and plan on getting it within the next year. I was thinking that winter break from college would be the best time for the surgery considering I'd have a few weeks away from school to heal and the multiple layers that go with cold weather would hide the compression garments better when I return. Also, I would like to be able to be at the point that I can take my shirt off as summer approaches.
Otherwise, I'd have do the procedure at the end of summer break or the 1-week fall break. Both of these times might present more of a problem with hiding the compression garments and not being able to lift/be very active.
Has anyone faced a similar scheduling dilemma? Would you recommend the more convenient time or the closest time in retrospect? In general I'm unsure how the embarrassment of the actual gynecomastia compares with recovery time issues such as garments, inability to lift/move/work out, etc; that is, I don't know if it will be more of a pain to have to wear a compression vest in the summer than to deal with my condition for another half year of college.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
bduke

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
My man, dealing with the compression garments is NOTHING compared to hiding with the condition. It may be hot, but you can finally wear pretty much anything. It was hotter when I had to layer multiple clothes during the summer, or wear a jacket out during the summer.

Either way, you just have to block out about 2 months. The compression garments will not interfere with anything normal you have to do. It's just a minor 'inconvenience' that's all. The only question being 'when can you go topless' or close to it... like I said, about 2-3 months after operation should be plenty of recovery time.
Triple Surgery done in Chandigarh, India (Jan 10, 2008):
1. Gynecomastia Surgery (simultaneously with #2)
2. Tonsillectomy
3. Septoplasty (5 days after #1 and 2)

3 lifelong problems wiped out in a flash of knives... Now recovering and excited beyond belief. :)

Offline bulova

• Posting Member
The compression garment is realy not hard to conceal at all.  Dealing with that, while uncomforatble, was cake compared to all the concealing I have had to do in my life. 

I will say, that coll/cold weather may make a difference because the compression garment does get itchy.

Offline gynebegone2

• Bronze Member
If you can, get it scheduled for the first week of your winter break.  Then make sure you clear a week off to just veg.  Most people are good after a few days but I think they would all agree that it would be much less stressful if they didn't need to return to work or anything for a week in order to adjust to things.  Then, you will probably have at least two weeks under your belt before Christmas/New Years and should be in no pain etc and comfortable enough with your vest to enjoy yourself.  Then, depending on how your scars look, and how they heal you should be in pretty good shape by spring.  Just remember to schedule your operation WELL IN ADVANCE, it seems that alot of people plan on using time around the holidays to get things like this taken care of.

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
If you can, get it scheduled for the first week of your winter break.  Then make sure you clear a week off to just veg.  Most people are good after a few days but I think they would all agree that it would be much less stressful if they didn't need to return to work or anything for a week in order to adjust to things.  Then, you will probably have at least two weeks under your belt before Christmas/New Years and should be in no pain etc and comfortable enough with your vest to enjoy yourself.  Then, depending on how your scars look, and how they heal you should be in pretty good shape by spring.  Just remember to schedule your operation WELL IN ADVANCE, it seems that alot of people plan on using time around the holidays to get things like this taken care of.

Excellent planning! That's good advice...

Offline bduke

Thanks for your great advice guys!
The first week of winter break plan sounds like the easiest, but I do have around five or six weeks between my summer job and the start of school, which is more time than I thought I had. If I were to choose to do it five to six weeks out from school, is it safe to say that I would able to start normal exercise and be off of compression garments by the time I get back to campus? If so, then it would be nice to start off my sophomore year post-op (I wasn't planning on going to beach or anything in the meanwhile anyway :)).

Thanks again,
bduke

Offline gynebegone2

• Bronze Member
Thanks for your great advice guys!
The first week of winter break plan sounds like the easiest, but I do have around five or six weeks between my summer job and the start of school, which is more time than I thought I had. If I were to choose to do it five to six weeks out from school, is it safe to say that I would able to start normal exercise and be off of compression garments by the time I get back to campus? If so, then it would be nice to start off my sophomore year post-op (I wasn't planning on going to beach or anything in the meanwhile anyway :)).

Thanks again,
bduke

It seems like it all depends on the surgeons technique and how long until you are exercising again.  I was talking long brisk walks the day of, and if you have enough compression, you can probably start jogging around week 2.  In my case I didn't have any pain but it felt awkward to jog that early, but someting like an elliptical machine, or a stationary bike would be just fine even just a week after surgery.  Plan on a month until you do any upper body, and ease into it.  Again I didn't have any pain but it did feel like things were stretching etc until about 3-4 weeks post op.  6 weeks would be plenty of time, but remember for 2 of those weeks you will be favoring your chest out of instinct and it may hinder your plans, and for 4 weeks you will be wearing a vest that I would never want to wear in the summer!

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
do u have any advice on how to get your insurance to cover it?
Surgery on 8/20/2008

Offline bduke

I was lucky enough to have a specific set of criteria in place by my insurance company to get coverage for gynecomastia surgery. From what I hear, however, many companies don't routinely cover the procedure. My best advice would be to get letters from your endocrinologist, surgeon, and (if applicable) counselor or psychiatrist to convey the physical and emotional extent of your condition.

Good luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024