Author Topic: scar tissue and compression - maybe docs can chip in?  (Read 4208 times)

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member
Hi,

I know that you have to wear the compression vest for a number of weeks post surgery (length depending on advice of each surgeon), and this helps reduce the initial swelling. But after this period, the harder scar tissue forms and we are advised to massage twice a day. Does compression at this stage help to break down the scar tissue? does it have any effect at all?
I'm about 2months post op and during my surgery I had to have an incision under the areola due to complications (lipo and excision).. but now, 2months on, I have a very hard walnut sized lump of scar tissue under the nipple behind the areola..will compression have any effect at all at this stage, in conjunction with massage?

Cheers

Offline dsanders16

• Posting Member
im curious about this myself. Is my compression vest even doing anything anymore? I have just the hard tissue (I presume scar tissue) under my left areola.

DrBermant

Hi,

I know that you have to wear the compression vest for a number of weeks post surgery (length depending on advice of each surgeon), and this helps reduce the initial swelling. But after this period, the harder scar tissue forms and we are advised to massage twice a day. Does compression at this stage help to break down the scar tissue? does it have any effect at all?
I'm about 2months post op and during my surgery I had to have an incision under the areola due to complications (lipo and excision).. but now, 2months on, I have a very hard walnut sized lump of scar tissue under the nipple behind the areola..will compression have any effect at all at this stage, in conjunction with massage?

Cheers

How tissues recover and heal after gynecomastia surgery depends on many factors.

For my patients I use After Gynecomastia Compression Garments to minimize bruising and help with scars.  Scars that evolve under pressure do much better than those without. 

After Surgery Scar Care is also important.  However, skill of the surgeon and surgical technique are even more critical for outcome.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Gyno 44

• Silver Member

Offline Bigchest123

• Bronze Member
i wiill try to find a post that the doctor said yes to me that compression does help the scar tissue

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024