Author Topic: How long until you can workout heavily and do heavy bench press after surgery?  (Read 6832 times)

Offline SBShasthapuffynips

• Posting Member
Hey, ive been thinking and investigating the field for quite so time now, im planning to make a appointement with Dr lista, i dont want scare on my nipple so i willing to pay more for it since i have what most would rate a 2/10 case, infact ive seen an endo and he said it was an 1/10 case.

Anway, im really into working out and even more then anything im addicted to it. Im gonna be wanting to get back to lifting as soon as possible, ive read that 4-5 post op it's alright, is it an average? Could i be out of the gym for longer? Sooner?

When should i expect to be able to complete a big pecs workout?

Offline Shane_591

• Posting Member
Hi ...
it all depends on your recovery, but I would say you need to wait at least 4 weeks, for sure.
Maybe more, certainly not less.
After week 3 (or again 4, depending on how good you are doing) you can though start working out the lower parts of your body or doing some cardio.
I was operated on May 7th and I started to work out my chest only on June 28! just to be absolutely sure not to create any further damage.
I had lost both volume and strength and the day after my training session (using a very, very small weight)..... I was in pain! but it was mostly due to the fact that I did not train the chest area for 6-7 weeks ....

a MD posted this guide on the subject
http://www.gynecomastia.org/content/general/pwo.shtml

good luck man ..

shane
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:06:06 AM by Shane_591 »

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I waited 3 months but I am a very cautious fellow.

Depends how severe your case is really.

when i finally did benches again man was I sore...actually i still am from that lol
so go easy when you start again
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I usually tell my patients to wait at -- at a minimum -- at least 3-4 weeks after surgery before resuming strenuous exercise.  And when you resume, there will be pulling and tightness which you will have to stretch out a bit at a time. There may also be some swelling, which can be treated by wearing the compression garment real tight for a few hours  after exercising.

Having had the surgery is an investment in your time, effort and money -- you want the best possible result.  Rushing back to strenuous exercise before you are healed will jeopardize the results and may result in some late complications -- which will alter the results of your surgery and add even more time to recuperation.

As I say to all my patients, lay off the exercise for about a month and let your body heal properly.  Once healed, you will have the rest of your life to catch up -- isn't that a good bargain??!!

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline SBShasthapuffynips

• Posting Member
thank you guys for responding, another think that interest me into the PAL technique Dr lista use is the fact that recovery is apparently faster...

So you guy said you were sore when you got back into the gym. you mean sore like you hadnt workout in a while or sore cause you werent fully healed?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
PAL is Power Assisted Liposuction.  It is basically a reciprocating motor which makes liposuction physically easier for the surgeon.  It does not make anything else better -- ie: faster healing, less bruising, etc.

I have tried PAL and don't care for it -- the constant vibration of the motor in my hands actually dulls the feeling in my finger tips -- which to me is essential for proper surgery.

I have heard of Dr Lista on this site and understand he is a terrific surgeon -- best of luck!

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024