Author Topic: Gynecomastia & The Military  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Gnarfje

I have a 20 year old with Gynecomastia - To be honest I can't really remember when I noticed that the problem had crept up, but I do know that when he was around 16 or 17 I took him to the doctor about it.  We were told that it was hormones and that he'd probably grow out of it.  My son developed a weight issue which compounded the problem. I'm not sure that it held him back from too much with friends and family, but having a weight problem myself I would think that it did create some issues and might be one of the things that contributed to his weight issue and problems with school.  Fast forward to 2008.  My son hit 250 lbs last winter and apparently had enough.  He decided to lose weight .. and he has (80 lbs).  While his breasts have reduced in size - he's still got them.  He decided about 2 months ago to join the Navy and has worked very hard to build up physical endurance (cardio, weight lifting, etc).  He dropped the needed amount of weight to pass the physical - but, yesterday when he did the physical they didn't pass him or disqualify him.  They've advised that he needs to go see another doctor before they'll decision his application.  Needless to say .. my son was fairly upset, and I felt nothing but guilt.  The recruiter (a very nice fellow) doesn't seem to think that this will cause an issue to my son completing and passing his physical, but he also said he's never run into this situation before.  Is there anyone here that has information about this?  I keep thinking - Women are all over the military and they have boobs.  Is this something that could disqualify my kid?  I am guessing that they're looking at hormones and other issues that can be caused by the Gynecomastia - but if there isn't there would having breasts be a reason for the military to reject his application?  I read that several guys have it -- can't imagine that there aren't people in the military with it -- and the only problem I can see it causing is that people are cruel (especially young ones).  Parenting... never easy - Looking for Answers.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
my advice to mili applicants in past has been talk to the mili docs.  remember it's a seller's market though, so he should remind them he's applying at a time when they're desperate to get people to even walk in the door, BUT he's willing to make a deal.  inform them that based on other people's experience, gyne can create serious unity and discipline problems if people haze him about it, which i guarantee you they will. 

so IF they are willing to do a COMPETENT ps job on him - that means NOT some ignorant general surgeon cutting anywhere with a knife - he will apply.  gyne involves techniques to prevent cratering, hide scars, and preserve normal contour, so they have to have a competent ps somewhere, and given the guys coming back all hacked up from iraq, they've got to be able to find somebody who'd be qualified. 

in return they get a soldier.  those are hard to come by.  given what they're spending per recruit these days, they'd be getting him for cheap, maybe two grand in their costs.  i doubt they'd outsource it, since it's not like they don't have infrastructure for this. 

but insist on a ps, not a general surgeon. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:47:38 AM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
My guess is that the reason for wanting the opinion of another Dr. has more to do with his overall physical condition and his recent dramatic weight loss.

It is not at all uncommon for young servicemen to have breast reduction surgery in a military hospital so that should not be an issue.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024