Author Topic: Is Massage Helpful.  (Read 6641 times)

Offline badcase

• Posting Member
Is massage helpful after surgery. Things are still quite sore at one month post-op. When would you suggest to start massage and can you tell me the proper way to do so. Thank you for your time.

DrBermant

Is massage helpful after surgery. Things are still quite sore at one month post-op. When would you suggest to start massage and can you tell me the proper way to do so. Thank you for your time.

Scar Care and massaging scars after surgery can help remodel tissues and evolution of scars.  However, trauma can slow healing and cause new swelling. Injured nerves can be hypersensitive, more than the normal amount of feeling. Irritating these nerves can cause more discomfort.  Timing and technique of scar care are best individualized depending on the problem treated, what was done, healing, and other factors best discussed with your surgeon.  If the massaging hurts or causing more swelling, then it is either too soon or too rough.  No pain no gain may work for bodybuilding, but it can slow things down in healing.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I instruct my patients to start massage, using a flat head electric massager, as soon after surgery as they can, maybe 4 or 5 days postop.  You can initially start massaging over your compression vest, as it won't be as painful that way.  After about 7 to 10 days, you should be able to massage directly over your skin.  I would recommend you use some type of body lotion to help avoid irritating your skin.

The massage helps to keep your tissue smooth during your first 6 weeks of healing, and I recommend you massage twice daily for at least 10 minutes each session.

You can usually find a flat head massager at Brookstone, a store found in many malls.  They can also be found at Target, Sears, Penney's, etc.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline DrCALOCA

• Posting Member
    • www.gynecomastiamexico.com
I suggest that NO MASSAGING be done the first month, specially with the periareolar glandular and fat resection technique. NEW blood vessles are literally growing from the muscle o the overlying skin. If you massage the area, you will break these vessles and cause bleeding. This is why massage is contraindicated the first three weeks after surgery. After that time, massage is OK and will help with healing if there are no complications to te pocedre at that time.
Dr.Dr.Jaime Caloca Jr.
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
(619) 734-2290 -www.drcaloca.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I usually delay massage for a minimum of 4-6 weeks after surgery.  Massage itself is minor trauma -- and that is NOT what you want to be doing to delicate healing tissues.  Once the initial phase of healing is complete, then massage can certainly help in many ways.  And some patients don't require massage at all!  Before you begin, best to check with your surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024