Author Topic: I do not know what exactly gynecomastia is?  (Read 3899 times)

Offline maxandalan

My sister-in-law is very concerned about my 13 year old nephew.  My sister-in-law is Vietnamese and she and my brother currently live in Abu Dhabi where my brother works in construction.  My nephew is living in Florida because it is difficult to find good quality schools in Abu Dhabi for children who go to American schools. My parents and I live in Illinois and my brother and his family, he has a daughter who is 5 1/2 and a son who just turned 3 flew back to Florida in May, picked up my 13 year old nephew and came to Illinois because my mother is in end stage leukemia. After my sister-in-law returned to Abu Dhabi she wrote me an email because she is very upset because her older son's breast are enlarged and his penis is the same size as his three year old brother's.  Her English skills are very poor so she has asked for my help in finding out what is wrong with her son.  I put "enlarged breast" and "adolescent male" in Web MD and found the term Gynecomastia.  Trying to use the word penis as a search term to find any serious medical information has been a nightmare.  Is a small penis another symptom of this condition?  If not, do you have any suggestion where I might search for more information that could help my nephew.  He is becoming extremely self conscious about his chest.  He always wears two shirts now and I know everyday as a teenager will be more difficult.  Thank you for your help.

DrBermant

My sister-in-law is very concerned about my 13 year old nephew.  My sister-in-law is Vietnamese and she and my brother currently live in Abu Dhabi where my brother works in construction.  My nephew is living in Florida because it is difficult to find good quality schools in Abu Dhabi for children who go to American schools. My parents and I live in Illinois and my brother and his family, he has a daughter who is 5 1/2 and a son who just turned 3 flew back to Florida in May, picked up my 13 year old nephew and came to Illinois because my mother is in end stage leukemia. After my sister-in-law returned to Abu Dhabi she wrote me an email because she is very upset because her older son's breast are enlarged and his penis is the same size as his three year old brother's.  Her English skills are very poor so she has asked for my help in finding out what is wrong with her son.  I put "enlarged breast" and "adolescent male" in Web MD and found the term Gynecomastia.  Trying to use the word penis as a search term to find any serious medical information has been a nightmare.  Is a small penis another symptom of this condition?  If not, do you have any suggestion where I might search for more information that could help my nephew.  He is becoming extremely self conscious about his chest.  He always wears two shirts now and I know everyday as a teenager will be more difficult.  Thank you for your help.

Living with Gynecomastia can cause a great deal of emotional stress.

Gynecomastia is female like breasts in men.  There are many possible Causes of Gynecomastia. Small testicles can be a factor of hypogonadism or Klinefelter's Syndrome which can result in male breast growth.  This is one of the many Red Flags that during my examination of a patient that results in a referral to a competent Endocrinologist.

No Surgery Chest Body Shaping Garments can be a temporary solution while the problem is being evaluated or the condition stabilized.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024