Author Topic: risks associated with surgery  (Read 2596 times)

Offline theghostinside

i have surgery scheduled for the 28th of this month and i was looking through the packet at all the risks that are possible and it kinda overwhelmed me. i was just curious to if any doctor could tell me the likelihood of any of this risks. im 26 years old, dont smoke, and am about 5 10 at about 185 pounds. also the doctor that is performing the surgery, ross bunch of tuscaloosa alabama, said that i would have drainage tubes from the incisions. what all does this involve??? thanks again

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Congratulations! Gynecomastia correction patients are the happiest patients in my practice. Do not worry about anesthesia. Anesthesia today is so good that there is virtually no risk for someone young and healthy like yourself.
The risks in the paperwork can be overwhelming. It is essentially any complication that could ever possibly happen. You have made the right decision. It is important to understand the paperwork but do not let it make you overly anxious. You will do fine.
The drainage tubes are meant to get rid of any fluid that accumulates. It is far better to have the fluid out of you than to collect. I tell my patients the drains are their "best friend".
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline DrCALOCA

• Posting Member
    • www.gynecomastiamexico.com
If your surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and EXPERIENCED in Gynecomastia procedres, then you are in good hands and should do just fine. Personally I have never had an infection, never had fatalities and drains are always used in Gynecomastia surgery. This is standard procedure in most cases.

I recommend that you follow your physician's instructions and REST, REST, REST after surgery for a good recovery.
Dr.Dr.Jaime Caloca Jr.
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
(619) 734-2290 -www.drcaloca.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Try not to worry too much about your upcoming surgery.  You're young and healthy, and it sounds like you have no risk factors.  Keep in mind that in this country, given the medico-legal climate and the fact that we are in general a litigious society (when compare with other countries), operative consent forms must list any conceivable complication that could occur, no matter how unlikely.  I've had patients from other countries back out of surgery after reading my consent form, because they were not used to our type of forms here in the U.S.

And regarding drains, some surgeons use them, some do not.  I usually do not use drains in gynecomastia surgery.  But don't worry - they are placed there for your protection from fluid build-up.

Good luck this week, and congratulations!

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024