Author Topic: Too painful/drowsy/poor-for-healing to drive home day after surgery?  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
I don't have a family member or friend who can drive me home from surgery. 

Ideally, I would like to get a cab ride to a hotel after the surgery, and drive myself home 2.5 hours the next day.  If I can find a doctor's office that allows this, would this even be possible or safe?  Too painful?  Too drowsy?  Bad for healing? 

The doctor offices I've talked to so far say they will not allow me to get a cab ride.  I have, however, found one doctor who provides a service to drive me home the day of surgery.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
i thought i would be able to drive home day of surgery also...i was 30min. away dude and tell you the truth i wouldn't have made it!!  Hospital wasn't goin to let me leave anyway unless someone came to get me.

2 days post op i had to drive back there and it was still weird but i made it.  but my surgery was bigger than yours goin to be "probably" so i can't really speak for you man.  For some reason after surgery my damn right leg was kinda fucked up and that's why it was weird driving...

Fluffy( o )v( o )...
My before and after surgery pics: Leave a comment if you look!! (HAD THE WRONG LINK UP! THIS IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE PICS)
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19342.0

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
I'm going to get the surgery done in San Antonio, TX and I'll have to drive a few hours south of there to get back.

Fluffy, it was your leg?  That seems odd.  Mine is a minor case.  Do you think my chest would be too painful to drive myself back the next day?  Or two days later?

Offline krucial

• Bronze Member
idk about driving! i wouldnt do it...  Your body is still drugged and draggin ass...  especially a 2hr drive??? idk dude

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
Either way, I've been annoyed with this #@!!! for 13 years, and it's finally looking like I'll get a surgery done within a few weeks--whether I have to shell out a few bucks for a ride or not.  Almost free!!!!  :P

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I'm going to get the surgery done in San Antonio, TX.

I would have offered to help you out dude. However, I live in Canada...   :-\

That would be quite a drive for me...   :P

It's ridiculous that the hospital/clinic will not allow the post-op patient to take a taxi back home or to a hotel...  As you mentioned, one surgeon you found provides a service to give the patient a ride. More surgeons should  have a service or a staff member give the patient a ride home. The expense could be incorporated into the final surgery cost. I'm sure the patient would have no problems with the extra cost... More surgeons should provide this option considering the fact that many guys want to keep the entire procedure private.

GB...

Offline desi

• Gold Member
actually, the hospita/staff also would want someone to wacth u for the first 24 hours... due to the anaesthesia.... the doctors coulsd provide nurse service or somehting like that that could include ride back home...
Formerly, 'Fattgayee', as in 'Torn Apart' or more so 'I am Screwed' :)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

The hospital that I had surgery at has the usual 'must be picked up by family/friend' policy... Nothing was mentioned that someone had to observe the patient for an addition 24 hours...

GB...

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
Of the three doctors I am getting a consult set up with, all have now worked out something.  I initially heard the same "must have a family member or friend get you," but now all three have helped set me up with a driver.

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
I'm going to get the surgery done in San Antonio, TX.

I would have offered to help you out dude. However, I live in Canada...   :-\

That would be quite a drive for me...   :P

It's ridiculous that the hospital/clinic will not allow the post-op patient to take a taxi back home or to a hotel...  As you mentioned, one surgeon you found provides a service to give the patient a ride. More surgeons should  have a service or a staff member give the patient a ride home. The expense could be incorporated into the final surgery cost. I'm sure the patient would have no problems with the extra cost... More surgeons should provide this option considering the fact that many guys want to keep the entire procedure private.

GB...

Thanks dude.  I won't hold you over the coals for it  ;D

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Of the three doctors I am getting a consult set up with, all have now worked out something.  I initially heard the same "must have a family member or friend get you," but now all three have helped set me up with a driver.

Glad to hear that you've got it sorted out...  ;)

GB...

Offline lighting506

• Posting Member
Get someone. It took me around 5 days until I felt good enough to drive. When driving you need to be ready for anything such as sharp turns and U-Turns which will hurt the chest

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024