Author Topic: My situation needs evaluation!!  (Read 2546 times)

Offline kuik

• Posting Member
Hello Doctors,

I am trying to get answers to my situation.

I am 31 years old, I have this gyne since I was 15 when I started to gain weight.

5’10 tall

Waist line was 51.5, current 46 inches

Weight: was 280lb, current 244lb

My goal is 200lb

5 years ago I lost weight but didn’t keep it off for more than 6 months due to me going back to my bad eating habits and stop going to the gym.
I’ve read several answers by you “doctors” saying that the ideal situation is to lose the extra fat in your body then have the operation done, but for some people doing the operation before they reach their ideal weight is more encouraging to make them lose weight.

Although I have big chest/gyne and that bothers me, my plan is to reach my ideal weight first then have the operation done (by the best doctors in the field), BUT there is one more thing that is kinda putting me off, which is I have excess skin so I am sure I’ll have skin excision which will result in a permanent scar.

I will be done with my gyne, but I will have a huge 2 scars on my chest not allowing me to take my shirt off in the public!!!

Do you think I am asking for too much, no manboobs and no scars!!!

I never did any hormone tests before

Thanks in advance for you time to reply to my post.

and here is the link for some pics

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab11/kuik_photo/01.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab11/kuik_photo/02.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab11/kuik_photo/03.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab11/kuik_photo/04.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab11/kuik_photo/05.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab11/kuik_photo/06.jpg

Sorry for not uploading the pics in the forum because the limit is 192kb and that is too little and will give bad quality pics!!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, you are correct-- you are asking too much.

There is no way any doctor can help you with your gyne and not have scars on your chest -- that is the compromise you will have to make.

Unfortunately, if you are significantly overweight at any time in your life, you will have stretched out the skin and lost elasticity -- and that is a one-way street.  It is impossible to perform gyne surgery to correct your chest without additional scars (required to remove excess skin and tighten everything).

Many men who lose significant amounts of weight will have excess, hanging skin. Then, surgery to correct the problem will result in a trim "birthday suit" but with scars as well.  You will look good (and be comfortable) in clothing -- but there will be scars on your body which may limit how much you may wish to expose them to the public.

Good luck on your weight loss -- you will be much healthier in the long run, with or without gyne surgery!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline kuik

• Posting Member
Many thanks for your fast reply Dr. Jacob,

So, will I have the gyne and excess skin taken at the same surgery,
or will I have one for gyne and another for excess skin!!

DrBermant

Hello Doctors,

I am trying to get answers to my situation.

I am 31 years old, I have this gyne since I was 15 when I started to gain weight.

5’10 tall

Waist line was 51.5, current 46 inches

Weight: was 280lb, current 244lb

My goal is 200lb

5 years ago I lost weight but didn’t keep it off for more than 6 months due to me going back to my bad eating habits and stop going to the gym.
I’ve read several answers by you “doctors” saying that the ideal situation is to lose the extra fat in your body then have the operation done, but for some people doing the operation before they reach their ideal weight is more encouraging to make them lose weight.

Although I have big chest/gyne and that bothers me, my plan is to reach my ideal weight first then have the operation done (by the best doctors in the field), BUT there is one more thing that is kinda putting me off, which is I have excess skin so I am sure I’ll have skin excision which will result in a permanent scar.

I will be done with my gyne, but I will have a huge 2 scars on my chest not allowing me to take my shirt off in the public!!!

Do you think I am asking for too much, no manboobs and no scars!!!

I never did any hormone tests before

Thanks in advance for you time to reply to my post.

and here is the link for some pics

Sorry for not uploading the pics in the forum because the limit is 192kb and that is too little and will give bad quality pics!!

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Does it not feel much better with that weight off?  36 pounds is a good start.  44 pounds of additional weight loss after surgery can be a factor after surgery compromising the result.

After Major Weight Loss skin and supporting tissues retract only so much leaving sagging and drooping.  These are usually global factors affecting most regions of the body.  For men, the sagging chest is often the biggest concern.  However, there are often issues of the stomach, thighs, buttocks, arms, and more.  While a Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty can help with the front, a Lower Body Lift helps deal with the stomach, thighs, and buttock sagging. 

Low Nipples Do Not Look Good on the Male Chest.

Excess Skin of the Male Chest with Gynecomastia comes in various degrees.  Here are my Standard Pictures for Evaluating Extra Skin on the Male Chest.

Weight loss before surgery is usually much better than weight loss after surgery. Weight loss is a coarse tool, Plastic Surgery is better reserved for refinement. This is especially true when tissue sagging is a factor.  Why lift sagging tissue, lose more weight, and see that tissue sag again from further deflation? 

Weight loss and surgical sculpture is a series of compromises. What suites any one individual will vary.  Ideal sequence that I recommend my patients:

• Get to a weight you are comfortable living with.
  • Let the skin adjust as much as it will. It can take from 6 to 18 months for skin equilibration after a gastric bypass and major weight loss.
  • Consider Tightening Lower Tissues First. There is little sense to lift the chest and then have a tummy tuck, lower the chest result, requiring a revision chest lift.
  • Then Address the Chest.
  • Use No Surgery Body Shaping Garments as emotional support not to rush the process.

Bouncing redundant flesh also can be a major emotional factor stressing any patient trying to lose weight.  That is why I posted Videos of Compression Garments dealing with gynecomastia and stabilization.

For some patients, my small incision skin reduction chest lift is an option.  This eliminates the unnatural very obvious unnatural vertical scar.  For smaller problems, I have evolved my Internal Lift Male Mastopexy Surgery that has even smaller scars.  My internal lift is not suitable when the excess skin is a major contributing factor for the deformity.  A Male Donut Mastopexy when pushed too far will leave a star burst deformity that detracts from the result. That is why picking your surgeon carefully can be so important.

Yes, scars are a compromise.  We need some place to remove the excess skin.  The shorter the scars, the less skin that is removed. 

Options are best explored during an evaluation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Sagging Tissues

Offline kuik

• Posting Member

Thank you Dr. Bermant  and i will keep losing weight and  then see what surgery can do for me.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024