Author Topic: question about swelling and vests  (Read 1980 times)

Offline oldspice

• Silver Member
I notice that post op, the vest needs to be worn for a month or so? Is this primarily due to swelling? or are there other factors? Also, a week after surgery, can't you somehow ice certain parts of your chest? For minutes at a time of course, its nt like icing a sore knee or something. But anyhow, wouldnt ice somehow speed up the healing process? thanks

Offline tomo25mcr

• Posting Member
Hello well i had my operation 5 weeks ago today and im happy with the results  :) . When there i asked the doctor about a vest but he said he dosnt tell people to wear them but i could if i wanted to? well im not a doctor but im not sure if it makes a difference because i didnt have to wear 1

Offline shidu54

• Posting Member
I got my surgery done 2 weeks ago now, and I have been wearing the vest pretty much all the time (other than when taking a shower).  My doctor said it was extremely important to wear the vest (a thought that seems to be quite accepted on this forum, especially by supporting docs)to minimize the swelling that occurs post-surgery.  I would also say that personally, the vest is also helpful in keeping your chest "tight" so that when you walk around, your chest doesn't really move around, as this movement can be quite uncomfortable.  I used ice during the first week to minimize the initial swelling, but remember that icing the area doesn't heal the swelling, it just minimizes the blood flow (temporarily) to the area, which can be helpful to minimize discomfort but will not necessarily speed up the healing process.  You just have to take your medicine, wear the vest, and wait it out.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Some degree of compression over a surgical site will greatly reduce the chance of swelling and possibly even hematomas or bruising.

Cold compresses are similarly beneficial for the same purposes.

Your surgeon will give you postoperative instructions based upon their experience and their methods. Follow the instructions from your own Dr.

At one point in the healing process, cold packs may be advised while at a later time gentle heat would be better.

Don't try to second guess this on your own, You have a great chance of being wrong.
Grandpa Dan

Offline oldspice

• Silver Member
Yes you guys are absolutely right. I guess im just looking for a way to minimize the healing period as much as possible. I read stories over and over again about month long periods of recovery etc. Also, i typically hear that the vest is a bit of a burden to wear? Im assuming because its large or maybe hefty. Anyhow, is there an alternative to the traditional vest? Something thinner, that offers teh same compression? Thanks

Offline trojan213

• Bronze Member
I haven't had surgery yet, but considering that this is a $X,000 procedure, I just ordered a vest (stage 1) to see what it's like. Assuming I get surgery, I'm already set. If not, I lose $100. I'd advise anyone with vest concerns to do the same.

Offline Trycer6

• Posting Member
I had to wear a vest for about two weeks. No big deal, it wasn't that uncomfortable and wasn't noticeable when I was wearing a shirt. It just made me look thinner and more fit ;D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024