Author Topic: How long should swelling typically last?  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Jan1010

• Posting Member
I had my surgery on Jan 6, 2010 and I am still quite swollen in one side.  When I have my garment on for a while it seems to get better but then as soon as I take it off it gets swollen and noticeable again.  How long will swelling typically last?  How long do I need to be wearing this garment?  Will not wearing it effect the healing process? (as in some way other than lengthening it?)

DrBermant

I had my surgery on Jan 6, 2010 and I am still quite swollen in one side.  When I have my garment on for a while it seems to get better but then as soon as I take it off it gets swollen and noticeable again.  How long will swelling typically last?  How long do I need to be wearing this garment?  Will not wearing it effect the healing process? (as in some way other than lengthening it?)

I have seen swelling take many months to resolve for patients after surgery by some other doctors' techniques.  Swelling is the body's response to injury. Keep injuring something, and the swelling can persist for a long time. Protect and help it recover can minimize this time. The after surgery compression garment can be a critical factor in minimizing swelling. The question is, why keep taking off the garment if it keeps swelling with it off?  If hitting your head against the wall causes a headache, it makes common sense to stop hitting your head.  Listening to one's body's responses can help healing.

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the original problem, what was done, surgical techniques, skill of the surgeon, After Surgery Compression Garments, after surgery care, complications, and many other factors.

The swelling you see on my pages is typical for my patients. I prefer techniques that start out with less initial swelling. More swelling can mean more damage, less comfort after surgery, new damage after surgery and other possibilities. In the perfect scenario, peak swelling occurs in the operating room. Recovery does not need to result in additional swelling. Such additional factors make the answer to such questions best answered by your own doctor who is more familiar with the problem and what was done. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
If your swelling diminishes with compression this is a GOOD sign. It means that it is not caused by permanent issues. You should see your surgeon to see if you have a seroma (a collection of fluid). If this is the case sometimes draining it with needle aspiration followed by good compression really helps. Otherwise, keep your compression garment on for up to 3 months. BTW - seromas can form because during the surgery a cavity is created by the removal of the tissue. This cavity can fill with fluid.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:40:02 PM by Dr. Cruise »
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024