Author Topic: Gyno healing using medication only (Femara)  (Read 5073 times)

Offline Slerm

• Posting Member
I want to ask doctors what do you think about healing gyno using medicaments only? ( i want to try everithing that can help before going to surgery) My phisician told me that Femara can help me (i have mild case but it noticable) I have been taking it for 1 month and me testosteron rised greatly and estrogen fell, bot almost nothing changed with my chest. Doctor says that it is 1 step and if I continue taking femara approx. 2-3 monthes my gyno will disappear. Is it possible if I have gyno for 3 years already? (i'm 17) And do you know success cases with this type of getting rid of gynecomastia? Or is it just time wasting?

Thanks in advance.

DrBermant

I want to ask doctors what do you think about healing gyno using medicaments only? ( i want to try everithing that can help before going to surgery) My phisician told me that Femara can help me (i have mild case but it noticable) I have been taking it for 1 month and me testosteron rised greatly and estrogen fell, bot almost nothing changed with my chest. Doctor says that it is 1 step and if I continue taking femara approx. 2-3 monthes my gyno will disappear. Is it possible if I have gyno for 3 years already? (i'm 17) And do you know success cases with this type of getting rid of gynecomastia? Or is it just time wasting?

Thanks in advance.

Antiestrogens like letrozole can help shrink gland swollen if from stimulation. Once that swelling goes down, residual gland does not go away. That is why many Endocrinologists I have worked with over the years seem less enthusiastic about medical management of gynecomastia unless there is an underlying medical problem to treat. In that situation, getting the problem under control first is critical to minimize risks for recurrence of gland growth after surgery.  Usually gynecomastia present more than 2 years rarely goes away on its own.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you have had gyne for three years already, then your tissues are well established -- ie  they are probably not in the growing stage anymore.  It is only if it is in the growing stage that anti-estrogen therapy might possibly work -- but I doubt if it would be of help at this stage.

If there was a magical medication that would make gyne disappear, everyone on this site would be using it.

Realistically, the best answer for you would be surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Slerm

• Posting Member
Does full gland excision operation bring good results if I have some body fat but not owerweighted? Or it will be crater with 100% certainty? I'm afraid of part excision operation because it might be relapse. I should choise spend these pre-summer monthes taking femara or go for surgery because I don't want to waste my summer again.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
This is elective surgery -- it can be done at any time you choose.  Only you can choose the most appropriate course of action -- giving the Femara time to work (it won't) or having surgery.

As for the surgery itself, it is an art form and should only be done by an experienced gyne surgeon.  The surgeon must know how much to remove and how much to leave so that the result is NOT a crater deformity. 

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

Does full gland excision operation bring good results if I have some body fat but not owerweighted? Or it will be crater with 100% certainty? I'm afraid of part excision operation because it might be relapse. I should choise spend these pre-summer monthes taking femara or go for surgery because I don't want to waste my summer again.

Not all doctors use the same methods. For almost all of my patients I perform excision and liposuction and have been doing such sculpture for many, many years.

Yes, I prefer to target gland first with my Dynamic Technique. Rarely when the gland component is so trivial, I will only perform liposuction.  But for almost all, gland excision is what helps leave a flat contour under the areola when that areola muscle relaxes.  I can target the gland first without a Crater Deformity by employing my Fat Flap Reconstruction that supports the areola with fat instead of the pointed gland. I have seen too many patients from other surgeons complaining of Residual Puffy Nipples After Gynecomastia Surgery complication when the deepest components of the gland are removed and superficial gland was left "to support the areola." On that last link you will need to hover your cursor over that phrase to see what I mean.

When there is a medical problem causing gynecomastia, it needs to be stabilized first or recurrence will occur. Surgery will not prevent gland regrowth. I have seen too many patients from other doctors who were just too cavalier and jumping into surgery before the problem was addressed. However, medical management is best under an experienced Endocrinologist.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024