Author Topic: After surgery  (Read 2350 times)

DeeDubStyle619

Do any doctors allow the patient to drive them self home afterwards? I dont really plan on telling anyone about this procedure, therefore I have no one to drive me.

DrBermant

Do any doctors allow the patient to drive them self home afterwards? I dont really plan on telling anyone about this procedure, therefore I have no one to drive me.

A sedated patient should not drive right after anesthesia. Safety requires the patient to be with someone during the initial time after surgery.  That person can be family, friends, or a nurse.  For our patients that prefer to keep issues private from friends or family, we have nursing staff that will take you back to your hotel and stay with you for the required time after surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Because patients prefer to keep their surgery private, we also find this to be a problem on occasion.  The hospital policy doesn't allow patients to leave unaccompanied, so for patients who come on their own, we usually have them spend most of the day in the post-op recovery unit, and I or one of my staff will often take them to a nearby hotel.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

DeeDubStyle619

Thank you for the answers. Also, does this include local anesthesia also?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
When I do touch up procedures under straight local, I often allow patients to drive, unless I give them oral medication to sedate them mildly.  I don't do primary gynecomastia surgery under straight local anesthesia.

RS

DrBermant

Thank you for the answers. Also, does this include local anesthesia also?

I use Tumescent Anesthesia for my Gynecomastia Male Chest Sculpture. Local anesthesia alone is not sufficient for male breast reduction surgery. If someone used that alone for a full gynecomastia sculpture, I would estimate that the patient would still not be safe to drive just from the stress and trauma of the surgery itself. However, local anesthesia alone for male breast reduction is not an option I would offer.

When I am performing Anatomic Long Nipple Reduction in Men, local anesthesia alone is fine. In that case, my patients do not need to have someone with them.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
As surgeons, we are obligated to make sure all of our patient are driven home after general anesthesia.  Additionally, you should be monitored the first night post operatively as a matter of rule after general anesthesia.  If you have your procedure performed under sedation, you may not need to be monitored but you will still need a ride home. 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024