Author Topic: Kenalog ? For Dr. Jacobs  (Read 3169 times)

Offline 123456789

• Posting Member
If the PS decides that the scar tissue is present after six months and kenalog is the best opition, are there----
1. Just local side effects or general side effects ie headache possible etc
2. Any restrictions after an injection?
3. Are u supposed to message the area injected?
4.  About how many days or weeks will the injection begin to work?

Thanks for your help Dr. Jacobs

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If the surgeon is sure he removed all the excess gland and that it is scar tissue, then it should be amenable to kenalog injections.

The kenalog works locally -- ie where it is injected.  General side effects such as headache are virtually unknown.

After injection, I recommend gentle massage for about five minutes to help spread the medication throughout the scar tissue.  Then, do as you please and resume a normal life.

Usually kenalog exerts its effect by softening the tissues and then dissolving them.  It starts to work about 5-7 days or more after injection and continues to exert its effects for about 6 weeks.  After that, you can check to see the results and the injection can be repeated if necessary anytime after 6-8 weeks.

Good luck with your treatment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline harrison

How common is it for a doctor to be able to do a Kenalog injection? Is it something a family doctor would perform or should it be left to the plastic surgeon who performed the surgery?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Kenalog is one of the best treatment options available -- but I would very strongly urge that only a plastic surgeon administer it.  Most family docs do not have the familiarity with it that is necessary to get the job done right.  And if injected in the wrong place or in the wrong dose, it can do more harm than good.

Dr Jacobs

Offline franchizman

• Posting Member
Is there a kenalog cream i could possibly get instead of an injection Dr. Jacobs?

Are there any side effects?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Creams do not work -- you have to inject the medicine deep into the scar tissue -- not just apply it on the surface.

Dr Jacobs

Offline franchizman

• Posting Member
Ok thank you, and one last question Dr. its been about 3 and half months since my surgery and i still have puffy nipples and its very hard. Would a massage help, like a deep tissue massage?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Massage at this time cannot hurt -- it can only help.  However, anything can be overdone.  Would recommend gentle to moderate massage but back off if it is painful.

Again, a visit to your surgeon would be advised.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024