Author Topic: Incision opened up?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline departed1969

• Posting Member
Hello,would like to get  Dr.Jacobs and Dr Bermants opinion as well as members with some knowledge of this.I had excision surgery only 2 weeks ago and all was going well,until today when i discovered some blood on my bandage.I went to ps and he said the wound had opened and that he was going to leave it open because if he closes it there is a chance of infection developing.The ps said it will heal fine,don't worry.Im apprehensive with this answer due to the fact that the wound is clearly open,and I dont see how it can heal correctly by leaving it alone.The incision is along the areola.Any shared knowledge would be appreciated.I feel down in the dumps over the whole damn thing.

Offline departed1969

• Posting Member
Recently had incision only gynecomastia surgery.2 weeks post op and my incision opened up.The ps examined me and told me he as going to leave it alone and not close it because of possibility of infection.The ps cut away some white substance that he said was dead skin,but im afraid this will not heal being left open and also that my nipple will die off.The incision is along the areola.Any experiences with this would be very appreciated.Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In general, the advice of your surgeon is correct.  As long as you keep the wound clean and treated with some antibiotic ointment, it should heal quite well.  Trying to re-suture it now could potentially lead to infection.

Once it has healed (and it WILL heal), give it time and then evaluate the resultant scar with your surgeon.  If it has healed as well as the other side-- then fine.  If there is a difference, the surgeon may opt to do a scar revision -- which is a minor operation to remove the scar and replace it with a freshly sutured wound which might heal better.

Relax-- you got good advice.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline departed1969

• Posting Member
Thanks for your time Dr Jacobs,the ps didn't mentionany antibiotic ointment ,could you recommend a brand?Thanks again.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I would recommend any antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin, Polysporin, Bacitracin, Triple Antibiotic ointment, etc -- they are all very similar.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024