Author Topic: Fluid/swelling after surgery....tissue left behind  (Read 2732 times)

Offline TheOregonKid

• Posting Member
Hi,

I had my surgery on Oct. 28th.  My surgery was performed by Dr Waldorf in Portland, Oregon.  My surgery involved gland excision and sculpture using laser-assisted liposuction.  I am generally happy with the results.

3 questions...

1) There seems to be moderate fluid retention around and behind the nipple.  The area feels hollow, but pressed out from fluid.  How long can I expect this to take to go down.

2) There also seems to be a little tissue left above the right nipple.  There is a ridge of tissue running from the upper left of the areola about an inch long to an inch above the areola.  A small lump of tissue, a little smaller than a marble, remains about an inch above the right side of the areola.  If tissue was left behind is it possible to go in under local anasthesia and clip out the tissue that was missed?

3) I understand the compression vest minimizes bruising and swelling but does it also help tissue adhere tighter to the chest.  The longer I wear the vest post-op do I have a better chance of a flatter final result?

If
“Whoever despises himself still esteems the despiser within himself” -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
At this point, 11 days post op, it is much much too early to draw any conclusions about the results of your operation. Your body is going though a healing process (which includes swelling, firmness, etc) which will take months to resolve.

I am sure you have heard from many others on this forum who have said wait and be patient and allow your body to heal.  I am adding one more voice to the crowd -- R-E-L-A-X and let Mother Nature do her work.

Several months down the road, if there are any problems or irregularities, that is the time to sit down with your surgeon and discuss it.

My personal recommendation is to wear a snug compression garment for at least a month or more after surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024