Author Topic: Long term results (years after surgery)  (Read 2125 times)

Offline nobug

• Posting Member
I wanted to know the doctor's honest opinion of the chance of maintaining a good-looking chest years down the line, after the gynecomastia surgery is performed.  Do a high percentage of people complain about their chest looking strange after aging or weight gain?  I'd imagine that a skinny kid getting the surgery done would look strange after somehow gaining 100lbs after the surgery is performed, but I'm talking about the normal guy who goes through the regular 'wear and tear' of life.  Obviously you can't be sure about your weight in 5-10 years, but I figure that surgery results wouldn't be worth the money if it results in a good-looking chest for only a year or two... I hoped some doctors might be able to say otherwise!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
While weight fluctuations and the normal wear and tear on a body will certainly have an impact on the long-term results of gynecomastia correction, in most cases, the chest will age normally, and the corrected appearance will be maintained following a well-executed procedure which combines liposuction with any needed direct excision.  Proper contouring with liposuction helps to minimize contour issues with mild weight gain over time, though excessive weight gain might lead to a more peculiar contour.  Many of us see our patients back over the years, and the results are long-lasting.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I concur with Dr. Silverman.

The results of the surgery do hold up over time -- although 10-20-30 years later, there will be some natural relaxation of the tissues as one loses elasticity.

On the other hand, I have seen some spectacular improvements of the chest after surgery.  Reason?  The surgery has removed the embarrassment and the excuse for not exercising and working out.  As a result, some of my patients have gone on to build fabulous looking chests -- long after their surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline nobug

• Posting Member
Good to hear, thanks for the responses.