Author Topic: Post-Op questions  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Kill3rK

• Posting Member
I have not had surgery yet, but I have some questions bout when I do have it. I am going to be getting it done on my own, my family will not know. I am 18 years old. I will drive myself too the surgery, but will I be ok to drive myself home afterwards? I am going to get in touch with my insurance company and ask them if they cover bi lateral breast excision, if they do, and I go to a PS, will it still be covered even if the PS just does lipo? Also, will I be able to go about normal life, as in, will anyone be able to tell I had the surgery, apart from the boobs I once had being removed... Lol.

Posted from my iPad

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Bad ideas on several levels.

Your family should know -- what if something happens to you??

Driving after surgery should not be done -- you are a danger to yourself and others on the road.  I never allow a patient to drive or even travel by themselves after surgery.

Insurance companies are loathe to cover gyne surgery -- and for a moderate case on an 18 year old who is not significantly overweight, your chance of insurance coverage is practically zero.  No harm in trying but do not count on it.  Also, most surgeons use lipo as a tool during the surgery -- yet if lipo is mentioned in the operative report (which is sent to the insurance company), then the claim will be refused because they believe that lipo (in general use for over 30 years) is "investigational."  They make the rules -- unfortunately.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline 805spec

• Posting Member
Concise and well said Dr. Jacobs.
The only thing I want to add is that there would have been no way I could have driven after the surgery.  It wasn't just the recommendation of my doc that I have someone with me but the anesthesia was still hitting me hard to where I needed help.  Plus it helps to have someone be with you through this surgery.  I had my tonsils out a month before the gynecomastia procedure and those were a cake walk compared to the gyne.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024