Author Topic: Anti Inflammatory Medications  (Read 2695 times)

Offline kongking

• Bronze Member
Doctors,

Will medicines such as BROMELAIN help reduce inflammation / swelling for gynecomastia surgery patients?  If so, do you recommend any other medication to help reduce post operative swelling?  Thanks!

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Its an interesting question that I constantly review. In general antiinflamatory medications result in an increased chance of bleeding in the postoperative period. As for me personally bleeding is more significant of a problem than swelling or inflammation. So I am reluctant to use anti inflammatory meds prior to surgery.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline kongking

• Bronze Member
Is it ok to take bromelain supplements POST SURGERY though?  Thanks doctor!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As Dr. Pensler has noted, the risk of bleeding is a greater concern to me than concern over swelling, which is not excessive in most patients, and which is managed effectively with compression.  I don't have strong feelings about use of this product post-operatively.  Similarly, arnica is popular, but I'm not sure how meaningful it is to use this for gynecomastia surgery.  In most cases, swelling and bruising is only mild.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline kongking

• Bronze Member
Thank you for your response Dr. Silverman.

It's been 60 days since I had surgery and I still have very noticeable swelling on my chest.  Hence, the reason I'm asking about Anti Inflammatory Medications.  Is it normal to still be swollen at around 60 days, or do you think it might be something else, e.g. seroma?

I highly appreciate your responses doctors!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's tough to say if swelling could be related to a seroma without seeing and feeling it. You should see your surgeon.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024