Author Topic: gland removed with Lypo only  (Read 1624 times)

Offline max_badger

• Posting Member
Can the gland be removed with lyposuction only?

What are the various types of lypo possible?

I am concerned about how or even if the gland will be removed, he will do the lypo by entering the side but I did not get details of how the gland is removed. After I was assured the gland will be removed I said :lets do this A.S.A.P. and gave the deposit.  This is not a 2 step surgery, gland removal and lypo is done same day according to the signed documents. Surgery should last about 1 hour 45 minutes and I have always been thin,  had it since puberty, now I'm 55 years old.
I will speak again with my P.S. wednesday, hoping to be better prepared.
Maybe I'm just stressing needlessly but I am concerned the surgeon will claim falsely the gland will be removed by lypo only.
Btw, I chose that clinic because they have a convalescent facility, a must since I don't have anyone to accompany me to the surgery.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, in certain patients (particularly older men), it is possible to remove all the excess tissue (fat and gland) with lipo only.  But it is impossible to predict which patients will be able to have this done prior to surgery.

When I approach surgery, I always start with lipo but am ready to perform excision if the lipo was inadequate to provide the best contour. You should discuss this approach with your surgeon.  One should not have surgery with a pre-conceived game plan which will not be changed during surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I have not found liposuction to be adequate in removing the gland, and that has included the use of a special cannula in the past, but other surgeons have managed this, including Dr. Jacobs, who uses a special cannula.  Like him, however, I don't presume that liposuction alone will be adequate, and I usually plan for gland resection through a direct peri-areolar incision.  If I find that liposuction alone was enough, then I stop, otherwise I proceed with excision in the same setting.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery