Author Topic: Doctor's excuse advice  (Read 2446 times)

Offline hatingdaboobs

• Posting Member
First of all I would like to say thank you to the doctors who post on this sight. You have given me hope for a better life.I have decided to have surgery to correct my condition as soon as I get everything lined up. My biggest concern now is getting time off from my job. I work for a company with no confidentiality. My job requires constant lifting, pushing and pulling,I would need a few weeks off. If I brought in a doctors excuse from a plastic surgeon everyone at work would know what I was having done. The management is very unethical. I will quit if I need to but I would like to find a way to take the time off. Thank you for any advice.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is unfortunate that you work in a situation where your medical condition would be made known to others.  After all, privacy of medical information is written into many laws in our country.

You are correct, after gyne surgery, one should be very limited in one's physical exertions.  If you job requires this, then 2-3 weeks off would be necessary.

I offer my patients an "excuse" of having a cracked rib or a bad back, occurring in any type of accident or fall.  One need not supply a doctor's note for that.

Good luck.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline hatingdaboobs

• Posting Member
Thank you for your response Dr Jacobs, I may use that. Also thank you for your work in helping all of us who suffer from gynecomastia. I didn't know this surgery was offered and doctors specialized in this procedure until I found this website. I have been researching my options and making plans ever since.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I have often found myself writing work excuses, and I have typically tried to use excuses that are appropriate to my practice, since it's not too difficult for someone to look up what sort of surgeon is writing the excuse.  In some cases, my patients have said that they had a breast lump removed, which is true, and unless the change is very significant in your clothing, it's unlikely that most of your work colleagues would figure out what you did.  Alternatively, treatment of a hernia is usually good for a few weeks of "light duty," and I do a fair number of umbilical hernias in my practice. So that's an easy excuse that your workmates will understand and certainly not question. 

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
This is always a sensitive subject but I have not found it to be as bad as you describe. If I write a letter that says a patient underwent a surgical procedure for medical correction which requires no heavy lifting for a specific period to optimize muscular and soft tissue recovery and that's all the information they get and are entitled to receive, it seems to work out well for everyone. You are protected ( Hippa )from further disclosures.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024