Author Topic: Shy bladder, a problem after surgery?  (Read 4585 times)

Offline BlueKiwi

• Posting Member
I'm almost sure I'm gonna have surgery for my gyno.
Problem is, I have a shy bladder and it kinda annoyed me when I had the one and only surgery for hernia.
That time I only got a local anesthesia, the surgery lasted 30 minutes and then I slept for the next 6 hours.
When I woke up I felt the urge to pee but couldn't do it in the bottle they gave me. They told me the only way to pee after the anesthetic is to lean on the side of the bed and do it in the bottle. But I couldn't because you know.. shy bladder.
So I had to wait another 2 hours so they could finally let me to the  bathroom with 2 nurses. Even though I still had problems urinating I was able to do it. Then I had to do it multiple times, like 4 more times in three hours.

If they put me to sleep under general anesthesia how will I recover? I mean, I know I'll sleep after the surgery, but will they let me go to the bathroom when I wake up?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Different surgeons handle anesthesia differently. I use conscious sedation not general anesthesia which tends to minimize urinary retention after surgery. The problem you mention by the way is far from unique.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline BlueKiwi

• Posting Member
Thanks for the answer. But my problem is not that I can't pee normally.
I can't START peeing unless I'm alone in the bathroom... And this may be a problem if my bladder is full but I can't go to the bathroom due to the weakness and the anesthetic.

From experience with my inguinal hernia surgery (when I only got a local anesthesia) I know I was able to walk in about 6 hours after surgery.
What's the case in the gyno surgery? What's your experience with both local and general anesthesia? When can I get out of the bed?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I have used both conscious sedation and general anesthesia for these procedures, and most of the patients have been discharged before six hours after the surgery. So I'm not sure why you weren't allowed to get up and go to the bathroom on your own. You might discuss this with the nursing or anesthesia staff during your pre-operative preparation, and they should be able to accommodate you.  Even within a couple of hours after surgery, you should be able to stand alone in a bathroom, unless you have some other complicating factor. 

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline BlueKiwi

• Posting Member
Thanky you Dr. Silverman! I'm very relieved now :D

I guess they didn't allow me to get out of bed because of the anesthetic  which would have caused severe headaches while standing on my feet.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024